My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 8 July 2010

Fluttering..

A bitty day today but I wandered across to Fairmile Common in the hunt for butterflys.

Several bees around and the heather was in full bloom

I think this is a Meadow Brown but something about it's markings doesn't ring true for that.


What I was hoping to see was a Silver Studded Blue flutter. What I found was (I'm sure) plenty of small Blues!

This flutter was very battle-scarred... must have been in several fights.

So - if anyone can help with ID. It was very small which, with its markings leads me to Small Blue..




Called in at Painshill and bumped into someone I've got to know there. There are at least a couple of Badger setts - it would be lovely to see the Badgers but the Park is closed at the times they would be about.

This Dragon had one wing missing.

and a Black-Tailed Skimmer (?) sunbathed on a broken branch.


Just a short outing today but good to get out and about.

7 comments:

FAB said...

The first flutter is a Gatekeeper and I think the Blue is a Common as the Small Blue upperwings are mostly brown...they can be very confusing especially if they don't land with open wings.
BTW let me know when you are free for a trip to Thursley.

Katie (Nature ID) said...

Maybe your meadow brown is actually a gatekeeper. See: http://deansdailydiary.blogspot.com/2010/07/thursday-8th-july.html

Liz said...

Hi Tricia,

Wonderful photos, so many Blues too!

The Meadow Brown is a Gatekeeper :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia

Your butterfly is a Gatekeeper, two white dots.
Meadow Brown has only one.

Cheers

Maurice

Chris said...

Beautiful post Tricia. Sorry but I can't help you with the ID ;-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia, yes your Meadow Brown is a Male Gatekeeper and the Blue is a rather old female Common Blue.

oldcrow61 said...

Great pictures. The gatekeeper is lovely.

Related Posts with Thumbnails