My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Tuesday 7 February 2017

West Dean Gardens.. the new season ...

West Dean Gardens reopened last week after its winter break.  As the sun was shining I went over for a walk.  The sun was glorious and was beautifully warm.

Some of the huge flocks of sheep ....


Snowdrops abounded...


and the hellebores were out and colourful




Apples ......

the kitchen garden


It was lovely to sit here and soak up the sun.. it was so warm!!








this 'channel' should be filled with water by now.. my understanding is that there is a Spring in the gardens.. which currently is not dispelling water (according to one of the gardeners there) and that the other areas are fed by aquifers.. which I assume haven't enough water to run through the gardens.   I may have this wrong but I will update when I can get this confirmed, or otherwise..


At the far end is a very small pond.. which was being well used by about 30 Mallards.. they're norally out on all the water channels..







Very dry 'river'!!




Oh how lovely to sunbathe - Mr Ponders and Fido made full use of the bench..






















Unfortunately I had to cut my visit short.. but it was great to spend time in such a relaxed atmosphere.. .. so good to be back at West Dean again...

1 comment:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

SAturday was glorious! Really enjoyed being out, looking at the beautiful aconite, snowdrops and a few crocuses

Related Posts with Thumbnails