My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Tuesday 14 August 2018

Compton Acres and an Ancient Church

Just about to leave the hotel this morning, and this landed on the outside of my room window.. not often you seen one from the "underside"

The weather forecast was iffy... as it happened it was mostly sunny all day!

I headed of for Compton Acres... somewhere I first came Mum many years ago.  Whilst it's 'formalised' garden, I like the fact it's in a valley with steep descents etc. 



Through the Japanese Garden..





















and then a wander


through the Heather Garden (still lovely despite it being the "wrong" time of the year for the heathers!





Along by the cafe with the sea view...

there was an "Alice" theme running for children







Through the Sculpture Garden






and a wander into..


the Rock & Water Garden































Into Palm Court.




and finally, the Grand Italian Garden
















Seen in the shop on the way out

I was going elswhere but traffic was heavy in the direction I wanted to go.. so on a impulse I headed back to Portland area to visit a church that I'd passed yesterday and was curious about

St Peter's Church Portland

This church, built about 1870-72 of Portland stone, is now mostly disused and the graveyard sadly neglected...






The interior was fascinating and seems there were seats in every conceivable space.. both on the floor and the balconies above















Another great day out !! The Church was fascinating

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails