My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Monday 13 August 2018

Portland Castle, Portland Bill & Bennets Water Gardens

Today's plan was to visit Portland Castle and then head off to one of my fave Dorset gardens - BUT I changed my mind after visiting Portland Castle...

I arrived at Portland Castle in brilliant sunshine and a few fluffy white clouds - which after almost constant rain all day yesterday, came as blissful relief and very welcome

Portland Castle isn't in fact a castle at all but is in fact, a coastal fort, being one of Henry VIIIs finest coast forts.. It overlooks Portland Harbour and was built in the early 1541s to protect against French and Spanish invasion.

I had a wander before entering the fort







and then into the Fort
















and the fort's gardens






My plan was to go on to visit Abbotsbury Gardens but decided instead to go first to Portland Lighthouse - I diverted slightly for some amazing views of Chesil Beach/



















The sun went missing behind some dark clouds but it stay dry... the sea here was very choppy

Evidence of cranes used for the excavation of Portland Stone.











Amazing 'rock'... and there are foot/hand holds to help you climb to the top!!
 









and I came down this way... now to find the way up again!!



evidence of climbing!!



this fissure went down a long long way.. !!










Given I'd spent more time at Portland than planned, I changed my itinerary and headed off to Bennetts Water Gardens I came across some info about the gardens almost by accident.

The water gardens. comprising of 8 acres,  host the National Plant Collection of Water Lilies - comprising over 140 different varieties.  Many of the original water lilies planted here by the Bennett family in 1959 came from the same nursery in Giverny and are the same as planted in Monet's garden

There is also a (Claud) Monet style bridge

First stop was for some 'lunch'... given the very generous breakfast where I'm staying, I had a piece of Dorset Apple Cake and cream for 'lunch' ooops...

On the way through to the Gardens.





















































Think these must be hybrid mallards!


and on the way out, I was check over by one of the residents :D

A great day out and a first time visits overall today... and tomorrow? hmmmm - weather dependent!

1 comment:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

Beautiful! Man made things, natural things, the power of the sea. Great stuff.

Related Posts with Thumbnails