My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Sunday 30 December 2007

A Stroll around Warnham Nature Reserve

Had a drive down to W. Sussex today and decided to pop into Warnham. It had started off cloudy but by the time I arrived at 12.30 the sun had come out.

Nothing much to see on the water; many black-headed gulls, one heron and three pochards. Even the usual cormorants were missing and no sign of the teals seen last visit.

I walked through the wooded area which is a board walk and was rewarded with the sight of a male Bullfinch displaying his splendidly red breast. Nuthatches heard and a Green woodpecker. Not much else seen except a robin.

Decided I would try manual setting on my camera (the results are below). I've obviously got a way to go.

The bird feeder area provided Blue, Great and Coal Tits. A very territorial blackbird to whom even the Squirrel paid deference! A Nuthatch and Chaffinches were frequent visitors together with the Dunnocks, a Wren and a Reed Bunting (thanks for the ID Pete)
On my return to the Visitor's Centre, I was lucky enough to see a Fieldfare enjoying some of the very many red berries.

After a fairly cooped-up week it was good just to get some fresh air and stretch my legs.

Any constructive criticism, helpful hints etc. always welcome.







Reed Bunting.



This is my garden female Blackcap

1 comment:

Ospreywatcher said...

Saw a Bullfinch the other day, very striking and beautiful bird!
We had a male and female Blackcap in the garden almost a year ago but haven't seen any since.

Related Posts with Thumbnails