My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 21 January 2010

I got out - with the camera!!!

I haven't been anywhere recently due to the bad weather. Sunday was a lovely day but I was down with Mum and no photo opportunities were available. And this must be one of the longest gaps in blogging...over a week. Scary to think that January is fast disappearing already!

After I got home after some essential supplies shopping this morning, the sun appeared!! I headed off for Bushy Park and had taken a couple of pictures when a friend rang to suggest we met up.



So we met at Barnes for a cuppa. Not many small birds about but I didn't go very far. This obliging Great Tit perched for a bit.

On one of the smaller water areas, this female Shoveler sat about

with her partner..

From one of the hides a Snipe was feeding frantically. Unfortunately the tall growth of some trees is making it almost impossible to get a decent view - and that's with the branches bare of leaves. But this Snipe came into view and fed frantically for a while.




On the way back for a cuppa, signs of spring were evident.



Not there for long but next time - hopefully - I'll get that elusive Bittern..

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! Tricia, what some fantastic images of the RC Pochard and the Snipe was very obliging as well.

Chris said...

Hi Tricia,
At least your patience was rewarded, these pictures are more than wonderful, especially the pochard and snipe!!! You got a very nice reward!! I feel a bit the same over here, it has been raining for 15 days and now we are getting one of this big storm with wind over 35m/s!!!! Let's hope the spring will come quickly and will be nice!

Bob Bushell said...

That's a fantastic array of wildlife. Keep on birding Tricia.

Alcester nature photography. said...

Fantastic pics. I would be pleased with seeing just one of those , but to see a Shoveller, Snipe & Pochard on the same visit, great stuff.
Cheers Colin.

holdingmoments said...

Cracking shots Tricia. Love the Red Crested Pochard; I always think of Rod Stewart when I see these lol
Like the wing flapping Canada Goose too.

FAB said...

The RC Pochard and the male Shoveller certainly brought some colour to the day out Tricia. My sightings today were high above so still deciding if they are worth posting!

P.S. The butterflies are back at Wisley but I've just heard that they are not surviving long due to the attentions of a resident Robin in the glasshouse!!

Glo said...

Well worth waiting for, and I'm glad to know the weather helped you get out with your camera! That first image is just utterly striking! Hope you are able to get out more often!

Razboynik said...

Beautiful photos.

Midmarsh John said...

The colours in the first two pictures are beautiful. Great photos of the Snipe also.

Anna Simpson said...

Fantastic photographs of the Red-Crested Pochard, well done.

Jenny said...

Hi Tricia, I found your blog via Roy (fenland walker)! Amazing RC Pochard shots! I'm deeply envious!
May I ask you a question? How do you get your weather forecast onto your blog please?

Tricia Ryder said...

Roy - thank you - I was very lucky with low sunlight with the Pochards!

Chris - thank you and indeed I was well rewarded. Fingers crossed we will all get some better weather soon.

Bob - many thanks. I just wish I'd found "birding" earlier than the last couple of years or so. I love it!

Colin - thank you. There were quite a few snipe around at the Wetland Centre and very many Shoveller. The Pochards (different location) are there for most of the year and had young last spring.

Keith - Thanks - Rod Stewart?? It must be the spiky hair! Right place and right time for the shots methinks!

Frank - most colour I've seen for several days - or is it weeks?!!

Will be visiting Wisley to see the overfed Robin and his mates fairly soon I hope.

Glo - Many thanks as usual. I'm hoping the rain will stop! It's been pouring all day today.. and it would be good to get out again.

Razboynik - thank you and thank you for visiting and commenting again.

John - it lifts the spirits to see some colour at this time of the yer doesn't it. Snipe are so difficult and so good and merging into the background - great that it came out of hiding a bit.

Anna - thank you.

Jenny - very pleased you found your way here and via Roy ;) and thank you for visiting and your kind comment.

Re the weather forecast. If you click on the badge it will change to information with a web URL. Once there then click on the "projects" tab and find the mini forecast.

This won't work as a link but if you copy and paste it into your browser, it should do the trick.

http://asweb.info/projects/

Good luck!

oldcrow61 said...

The colours on the first bird are fabulous. Surely that's not a pussy willow branch coming out in a grey furry coat. It will be April here before we see that I expect. Great pictures again.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks OC. I think it is Pussy Willow - was surprised to see the buds already though.

The Red-Crested Pochard certainly brightened up a very dull day....

Tim Rucci said...

The images of the red crested pochard are fantastic! I had never seen one before and seeing these photos was quite a treat.

Related Posts with Thumbnails