My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 2 January 2010

Over to Barnes..

I had a visit to Barnes today - hoping to see the Bittern but also to see if there was anything else about.

The sun was shining but it was very cold with a great deal of ice everywhere.

A "collection" bird was dozing on ice!

Over in the birches and alders was a small flock of Redpolls - first I've seen this winter.

Teals skating on ice

At least four Snipe - in two different locations

And a Bittern. I'd just walked into the hide and before I could get to a seat and window the Bittern which had been deep in the reeds for a while, flew off!! A record shot only. Those that were already in place got better shots...hey ho..

There are now 2 bitterns confirmed. This one could be seen from the top floor of the reserve's cafe - but as usual far to far away for any decent picture. Those with bigger lenses had more luck - ah well, not long till next Christmas for my Christmas wish list ;)


A short visit but nice to stretch my legs and see some birds - even those that didn't oblige...

16 comments:

Chris said...

Hi,
Well done on the bittern again... and these shots with duck ice skating are very nice :-)
What?? You did not ask for a big lens for Christmas :-)

Mark Fellowes said...

Well done on getting the bittern - I've always found the ones at LWC surprisingly elusive! You had great light too - really suits your images.

oldcrow61 said...

Love the picture of the Redpoll. Great shots once again Tricia.

Miranda Bell said...

Some great shots Tricia - thought I'd pop over to wish you a very Happy New for 2010 and hope that I get more time to visit your blog this year.. it's been a busy time of late.. Take care Miranda

holdingmoments said...

Lovely shots again Tricia. At least you saw, and photographed the Bittern.
Not seen a Redpoll in ages myself. You got a good shot of him.

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Chris- one day I'll get a better picture but it's good to see it.

Mark - thank you; I would agree that they are very elusive; and yes, the light was good - pity the pictures weren't sharper though :(

OC - thank you. Was pleased to get the Redpoll - they dart around so much.

Mirand - Hi!! Happy New Year to you too. I must come over to your blog - haven't been commenting much recently :(

Keith - thank you. Lucky with the Redpoll in that he stayed still for a bit!!

TonyC said...

Hi Tricia. At least you got the shot!! Bittern is still missing from my photo album!! Have you tried Lea Valley in North London? They are supposed to be very regular there in winter.

Janine said...

Your "collection bird" is a ringed teal. There used to be one that lived at Bedford Park. I believe they are native to South America. Fantastic reflection.

neil said...

Some nice photos and sightings. I must get over to Barnes soon

Tricia Ryder said...

TonyC - I was amazed that anything appeared in the shot it was so far away. I've been to "bits" of the Lea Valley in terms of Rye Meads and Fishers Green (just visited the hide there). I've not been anywhere else in Lea Valley so might investigate.

Janine. Thanks - I was a bit lazy in not identifying the ringed Teal..

Neil - Barnes is a bit quiet at the moment and water levels have been quite high. But there seem to be quite a few Snipe about at the moment. I should keep an eye on the "recent sightings" on the LWC site.

Yoke, said...

Love the photos.

I a surprised that you do not rent lenses for trips like these, when you know that they might come in handy, esp. when such iconic species are about.

karen said...

Lovely pictures Tricia, the redpolls are such pretty birds, i havent been fortunate enough to see one yet! Love the pics of the castle on your last post too, just lovely xxx

Cindy said...

Beautiful photos. Love the swans and red deer in your previous posts. Really beautiful.

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Yoke and thank you. It's possible to hire lenses but it is quite expensive. If it was for a really good reason or I wanted to try out a different lens, then I would consider it.

Karen - thank you. They're very dainty birds.

Cindy - nice to see you here and thank you for your comments. I shall pop over to see you err too long.

Anonymous said...

That first shot is quite lovely. But then the others are good, too! Well done on the Bittern - not an easy bird to get a photo of.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Digi - they are so elusive and often only glimpses. I do remember one occasion though...... ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails