My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 30 January 2010

This and that...

Yesterday I didn't get out till later in the day. I had a wander around Bushy as the sun was getting lower in the sky.

I came across a herd of Red Deer and this Mum and growing youngster were drinking from one of the streams
.
They were part of quite a large herd and the stags, hinds and young were still all together.

The Black-headed Gulls were, as usual, showing off and performing so I grabbed a couple of practise shots!


Today, plan A was to join many others in Richmond Park where there was to be a meeting and rally against the intended car parking charges in both Bushy and Richmond Parks.

The charges are being opposed by 80% of those consulted (how they choose who to consult in terms of the public heaven only knows). The local councils are also up in arms because of the impact on the surrounding areas and, alledgedly, they have opposed the introduction of parking charges.

It has been muted that the system will be pay and display and calculated in one hour and half hours with a maximum of £2 for three hours or more in Bushy and £3 for Richmond Park.
Additionally, the speed limit in Bushy is to be reduced from 30 to 20 mph - which is good in my opinion. It's been 20 in Richmond for some time now. I await to hear more.

The latter part of my walk in Bushy yesterday was as the sun was sinking and it gave some wonderful lighting effects to the water and, in particular, the trees.



And today?
I set the alarm early so I could get to the Richmond Park meeting, before the relevant car park filled up but circumstances beyond my control prevented my leaving in time and I didn't get there grrrrr.

So I was about to head off for a normal Saturday visit to Barnes, when a good friend rang and suggested a walk. So we headed of to Polesden Lacey in order to stretch our legs. Which we did. We walked down a steep hill and followed the public footpaths in a circular route involving several steep climbs. Part of this walk goes around Ranmore Common which is - steep!

The sun shone and the sky was blue but the temperature was cool to say the least. However after some vigorous walking uphill through the woods..


seeing new buds starting to form,
and last Autumn's seed heads still clinging on, at the top of the trees.


we finally arrived back at the cafe where hot soup and locally made fresh bread were consumed with great pleasure!

And my legs are telling me they know they've been used today.

Thanks IHD for a great outing and for suggesting it.

9 comments:

Bob Bushell said...

A lovely pics of Red Deer drinking and of course the Black-headed Gulls flying. Superb.

Anonymous said...

Lovely shot of Mummy Red Deer and youngster Tricia. Its a good job you went on that walk instead.

Razboynik said...

I love your blog entries, Tricia. Looking at your lovely photos, I feel like I was there too...

Phil Wallace said...

Hi Tricia,

Liked your goosanders so I went to Painshill for the first time today. I didn't get any flight shots of the goosanders but I had a good day.

Regards, Phil.

holdingmoments said...

It seems if there's so much opposition to charges, my cynical side says it'll come in. Be a great shame if it does.

Good selection of shots Tricia; I like the ones across the lake, and the two deer.

No steep hills for me; I get knackered on a straight path at the moment. Mind you, the fresh bread and soup sounds good.

ShySongbird said...

Lovely photos again Tricia, the gulls, deer and lake particularly caught my eye. Sounds like you had a good couple of days even if Saturday didn't quite go to plan.

Chris said...

Hi Tricia,I love your this and that post!! You are getting nice shots in this set of pictures and it is wonderful to see so many nice things!
Well done!

Anonymous said...

Tricia, i really like all your photo's. But you know what i am going to say lol, your Gulls in flight Superb, no more to be said.

paul.

Tricia Ryder said...

Bob - Thank you. It's surprising what presents itself when you're not particularly looking for anything.

Roy - Indeed yes - a good job I did!

Razboynik - thank you so much for your comments.. Glad to have you along with me.

Phil - Sorry you dipped. I will pop over to your blog in due course. I was back there today (Monday) and ran into a mutual acquaintance - Ian? No goosanders this time. I'll be in touch.

Keith - I'm sure the charges are coming in - it's just how they're going to deal with the charging that concerns me now!

And there's lot's of straight paths at Painshill - when you can get this way ;)

Jan - Thank you - yes the two days made up for the aborted plan on Saturday!

Chris - thank you as usual.

Paul - LOL; you're so kind and - I took them just for you ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails