My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 7 August 2010

Wildlife beauty in small packages...

This post is for Keith - who inspires me; thanks my friend.


I went to Barnes today (London Wetland Centre). It was alive with insects - I changed the zoom lens for the macro and thoroughly enjoyed the wildlife in miniature.

Flora - in bloom and going to seed.







Ladybirds a-plenty (pity so many of them were Harlequins though)






Hoverflies - everywhere!!





BEES in abundance





A Wasp eating a handrail!!

and a female Common Blue

and..... one of the few Wasp Spiders




A quiet and peaceful day - lovely!

13 comments:

holdingmoments said...

What an amazing collection Tricia.
The flowers are beautiful. Cracking colour, that orangey red one.
I've noticed lots of Ladybirds around recently, and Hoverflies, Hundreds of them! Love those Ladybird larvae.
But the Wasp Spider! What a beauty. Don't think I've ever seen one before.

Ragged Robin said...

Sounds like an idyllic day, Tricia. I love the detail the macro lens gives. Some great photos. Particularly like the wasp spider photos.

Wilma said...

The wasp spider is something else! Love the flower macros, too.

FAB said...

A superb series of macros Tricia and good to see that 'Hairy' approved. FAB.

Anonymous said...

Superb work with your macro lens Tricia. Those insects and flowers are brill.

paul.

oldcrow61 said...

Fantastic shots. Love that wasp spider. I've never seen one before.

Midmarsh John said...

Terrific collection. It makes a change to get in close from time to time.

Tricia Ryder said...

Keith - thank you. Nature has some very bold and striking colours eh! I think I've seen mover hoverflies around this year than every before!

Wasp spiders can usually be found at Barnes.

RR - thank you and yes, it was somewhat idyllic. I'm after a slightly better lens but it will probably have to wait a while :D

Frank - thank you... and yes, Hairy was very kind with his comments :D

Paul - thank you and good to see you again. I'd wondered where you'd got to.

Wilma - thank you - amazing spider isn't it!!

OC - thank you :D I think I've only ever seen one at Barnes; but then they are quite well hidden despite their dramatic colouring.

John - thank you. Yes I agree; getting up close and personal with wildlife can produce some amazing results!

The Wessex Reiver said...

Love your insect photos Tricia. the Wasp Spider in particular appeals.

Bhavesh Chhatbar said...

So glad Keith inspired you; I got to see such stunning photographs you have taken :)

Chris said...

Very nice set of macro pictures Tricia. I love the wasp spider and the hoverflies shots, these are my favorites...

Anonymous said...

A superb lot of macro shots Tricia.

Tricia Ryder said...

Andrew, Bhavesh, Chris and Roy - my apologies for not responding before this!

Andrew - The Wasp Spider was fascinating.

Bhavesh - thank you and good to see you here.

Chris - thank you.... hover flies were everywhere!

Roy - thank you as usual.

Related Posts with Thumbnails