My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 14 April 2018

Sherborne Castle and Abbey

I woke this morning to thick fog.... ah well.. the forecast promised better later.

After breakfast and a long chat with Jim ... I headed off for Sherborne Castle.
This mist was still there when I arrived but it was getting better.

A general wander near the Castle to start with..




These Mallards are obviously used to being bed.. these were just a few of those who literally ran to me as I walked towards them..

and a solitary male Mandarin Duck.. I was advised that there is a female around..


Views over the lake.. there were at least 2 pairs of Great Crested Grebes about and one pair displaying.. but too far out for my camera..


















I went into the Castle.. no pictures permitted.. the rooms were lovely and definitely worth visiting

It was brighter by the time I came out of the Castle...so a wander around the lake.







































There is a female Mallard underneath this group of competing males... poor female!!


Two male Mallards having a fight!!

"OK then, where's MY picnic" ??..

 By now I was getting peckish so I visited the Castle cafe for a bit to each.

a Scone and a cuppa...


and a final view of the Castle before I headed off

and from there, a short drive away is the town of Sherborne and its Abbey



































When I came out the sun was shining and it was beautifully warm.. so I had a wonder through the town..





A very pleasant last day.. tomorrow homeward bound.. the forecast ... RAIN!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails