My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 12 April 2018

Stinsford Church, Athelhampton House & Gardens, and Minterne Gardens.

This morning my car showed a warning light of low tyre pressure - again... so this meant I had a trip back to the local tyre centre .. I had a nail in a tyre.. so they asked me to come back later when they had a slot where they could repair said puncture - if you're ever near Dorchester and need help with tyres, exhaust etc, I can highly recommend International Tyres... the service is excellent

So plan B - There is a house and garden near the garage and where I'm staying and I was too early to go straight there.  So I visited St Michael's Church at Stinsford.  It is here that Dorset poet Thomas Hardy wished to be buried.  As Westminster Abbey decreed his body should be buried there in Poets Corner, Hardy's heart is buried here at the church.

























And from there on to Athelhampton House & Gardens..the weather was dull and grey today... sad after yesterday's glorious sunshine!!



The River Piddle flows through the gardens and, according to a staff member, it had burst its banks for the first known time





















































After a visit to the house and a cuppa I returned to the garage and puncture repaired I set off for Minterne Gardens as this was local.  Minterne Gardens has a collection of Himalayan of Rhododendrons and Azaleas.  Unfortunately it was too early in the year to see it at its best but it was good to have a wander.




The House has been home the home of the Churchill an Digby families since 1620.  Admiral Sir Henry Digby was captain of HMS Africa during the battle of Trafalgar.

The original house had dry rot and the present house was rebuilt in 1906.

There was a wedding reception taking place in the house today.



























No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails