My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 21 August 2009

Feeling somewhat red faced.....

I'd been out to the shops and returned to notice increased bird activity in the garden. I think (with the rain we've had today) the birds must have been finding plenty of food in all the garden shrubs.

I was gazing out at the birds when this Blue Tit flew onto the gas boiler's external vent! I don't know what it found there but something held its interest.!



Well I seem to have solved my computer problem today. Woo hoo. I was going to ring an IT guru friend of mine next week to pick his brains and throw myself on his mercy but, I'm delighted to say, that's now not necessary.

My problem was that when "clicking" on any item whether on the net or the PC, I had to click several times before there was any reaction. The keyboard shortcuts were working fine so it wasn't anything to do with the "area" I'd chosen! All this happened immediately after Virginmedia had installed broadband etc. last week, so, I was attributing the problem to something connected with that. I was then talking to a friend on the phone who asked if it could be something wrong with the mouse

Now this got me thinking. I hate wires and cables and therefore I have a cableless mouse. The mouse talks to a "pod" which, in turn, in connected to the PC. What I hadn't realised was that the "pod" (during all the cable removing and attaching for the Broadband isntallation) had slipped down and was partially trapped behind desk.

So...... (I'm sure you've all worked it out already!) when I returned said "pod" to the correct position, Little Mouse having given a great whoop of joy on bening reunited with its pod, immediately sprang into action and enjoyed clicking responsively around the screen at a fair old lick almost, I may add, clapping it's tiny paws with glee. Thanks to this I'm now able to enjoy the vastly increased speed provided by cable broadband! SORTED!! (One day I will live this down!)

12 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Happy mouse, happy Tricia, happy ending!

I have Blue Tits pecking at my Heating vent as well, maybe there are insects around it ?

oldcrow61 said...

lol, that's so funny. I've been red-faced myself more than once. Sweet pictures of the bird.

Richard said...

The heck with the mouse, I want to know what the bird was interested in....lol.

Lily said...

lol! I know that panic/foolishness feeling when things won't work then are simply solved. Computers can really stress you out!

Midmarsh John said...

The BT looks as though it is trying to make off with the complete fitting in the second photo. :)

As for the mouse problem - don't we often assume the worst when we spot a problem? In hind sight it should have been obvious but we rarely spot the obvious. Never mind - all's well that ends well.

A bit of Blu Tack helps to keep things in their rightful place :)

Anonymous said...

Pods and mice can be problematic... I remember I couldn't get a mouse to work (after a belated battery change) even while pressing the 'reset' button on both pod and mouse, which usually gets them active again.

Stumped, I walked away, then came back ten minutes later, determined to remove the mouse and replace it with a not-so-good spare one. When I pushed it, it was working!

I still don't understand that...

ShySongbird said...

That poor little mouse was trying to do its best for you Tricia and you were denying it its lifeblood ;)

You were very brave to admit to this :) but I suspect a fair few of us have dropped equal clangers in our time. I remember when I first had my laptop I would be writing an email and seemingly from nowhere strange script would appear in it. This went on for sometime and we spent ages and a fortune on helplines who could only suggest it was some sort of virus although no one had really encountered my problem before. After some time and quite by chance I found that while initially playing with my 'new toy' I had switched on the internal microphone and every time I wrote an email it was picking up any talking in the room! The one good thing that came out of the episode was that it made me ultra aware of computer security!

Phil and Mandy said...

I wonder what was exciting the Blue Tit? Phil

holdingmoments said...

lol
Glad you got it sorted Tricia. Definitely a 'red face' moment. :)

Good capture of the little Blue Tit.

Janine said...

Nothing to be embarassed about- I've had similar with our wireless internet- the usb antenna had fallen behind my desk and I thought we had no internet!

Miranda Bell said...

Hi Tricia - hope all's well with you - have been "away" from my blog for a little while occupied with visitors and work mainly and the wildlife distrations explained in my recent posting... you're right about the increased bird activity in the rain - not that we've had any for a while but despite that have definately noticed more birds around - probably enjoying all the elderberries in the garden!! Enjoy your weekend and hopefully free of IT problems... MIranda

Tricia Ryder said...

Warren - a happing ending indeed. I think you're right about the insects....

OC - Thanks - doesn't matter how many red faces we have, it never makes it easier to admit Lol...

Richard - LOL - Insects - I think!!

Lily - I would agree with you there!

John - I did check after it had left and the unit was still on the wall! (I'm hunting for the blue tack!)

Diddums - I'm sure "Mice" and anything PC related will work well - when THEY want to!

Jan - Lol that's an excellent description! I hope you didn't say anything to make yourselves blush!

Phil - I think it must have been insects - all the birds were exploring the bushes - perhaps I'd had a minor invasion!

Keith - thanks - it was such a relief to get things back to normal and so simply that I didn't mind the red face at all.

Mirana - welcome back. And thanks - yes - I seem to be back to normal (well normal for me anyway :D )

Related Posts with Thumbnails