My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Monday 15 March 2010

It's the "aw" time of year...

With the sun shining and the wind now coming from the South West promising a warmer day (about 12 degrees C!) I headed off for Bushy - it was just too good not to go out.

The Egyptian Geese Goslings were running around and looking very... erm.. cute!



In the morning sun, these two Jackdaws posed.

By now I'd bumped into Norman and we headed off to the Wild Woods! (my name, not Bushy's)

Here should be Treecreepers, Woodpeckers and Wrens. Heard Green and Great Spotted Woodies and dipped on a Treecreeper in this area. But one of two Wrens was singing its heart out in the brambles around us. He didn't stay visible for long but I managed to grap these shots when he appeared.




I then wandered over to the pond. The two dancing Great Crested Grebes that were there the other day were not there now. This is the second time I've NOT seen them - I suspect that they've moved on to somewhere better to have their nest...

Two grey Herons landed not far from me and were intent on looking for food..

Nothing forthcoming, this one decided to demonstrate his "attitude" ..
and then had a preen.


On my way back to the carpark, I was walking along where I'd seen Reed Buntings last Spring and... low and behold!!


Nearly there now with a quick look at the pond... it seems over-run with Coots, the majority of which were fighting - off to the car and food shopping!


9 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful new babies.. and older friends you have trcia..
Costas

Warren Baker said...

Coots and wrens for me as well today tricia. my coots were a bit more well behaved though:-)

Chris said...

Hi Tricia,
And mamma mia, you saw some birds there. I love the the Egyptian goose goslings, they are so cute and your picture of them are really nice...
You then got quite a lot of nice pictures of other species too... This looks like a very nice birding moment... I did not get that chance tonight, I saw nothing around the lake I used to visit!!

Bob Bushell said...

Hi Tricia, the Egyptian goslings are the most.

holdingmoments said...

A productive day Tricia.
Those goslings are way in front of the queue for cuteness.

Midmarsh John said...

Definitely the start of the 'aw' season there Tricia.

Anonymous said...

A lovely spring collection Tricia, love the little goslings.

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Costas - thank you... I'm looking forward to seeing many more little ones before too long

Warren - seems a coot and wren day doesn't it?

Chris - I do love this time of the year. Hope you'll have better luck next time you're at the lake!

Keith - Those goslings are too cute for their own good lol

Bob - aren't they just!

JOhn - I think we can expect a few more "aws" over the next few weeks.

Roy - thank you - I'm quietly confident that spring IS here after all!!

oldcrow61 said...

Awwww, the little goslings are adorable. Beautiful shots.

Related Posts with Thumbnails