My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 10 August 2013

Flutters and a lifer - Clouded Yellow Butterfly!!

Took myself off to RSPB Pulborough Brooks today - not to do some birding but to do some butterflying!

And I was richley rewarded.  Along the zigzags and the Ragwort/Fleabane (?) to the left of the path I spotted many varieties.  Far to quick in the hot sunshine for picture but I managed some.

Spieces seen:  Green viened white, large white, comma, painted lady, small skipper, gatekeeper, common blue, small tortoishelle, and the piece de resistance.... Clouded Yellow.  Initially there was just one flying about but after I'd completed the circuit of the reserve and on my way back, I then saw 2 chasing each other.  Amazing.

Heregoes with some pics - if anyone disagrees with my IDs then I'd be happy for you to tell me :D

Large White

Comma

Painted Lady



Common Blue

Painted Lady

Common Blue


Large white?

Gatekeeper

and for a change.... Female Common Darter (?)

Painted Lady

Small Tortoiseshell

Peacock

Cinnabar moth caterpillars

A record shot of a Cloudy Yellow... the best (and only one of two pictures) I managed with its wings open!

Cloudy Yellow with closed wings





Brimstone

Saw a familty of Wrens - I think there were about 5 of them

Comma

and finally, just as I'd focused on the Cloudy Yellow for the last time, this is what happens!!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia

Lovely shots of the butterflies, especially the Clouded Yellow.

The Small Blue is a Common Blue.

Cheers

Maurice

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Maurice... very many thanks.. I shall change my blog to read Common Blue accordingly...

best wishes!

Ragged Robin said...

Lovely butterfly photos Tricia and well done on the Clouded Yellow :) I've never seen one but reading blogs there seems to be quite an influx into the South of England.

Roy Norris said...

A lovely set Tricia, especially the Clouded Yellow.

oldcrow61 said...

Wonderful shots Tricia.

Related Posts with Thumbnails