My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Tuesday 8 April 2014

A brisk walk around Pulborough Brooks and a short visit to WWT Arundel

After the constant rain all day yesterday, I needed to exercise and get some fresh air.  I headed off to Pulborough Brooks.  It was sunny and windy, and rather on the chilly side!!

However, Chiffchaffs and Blackcaps singing everywhere.  A Willlow Warbler was heard and a Cetti's.  Not pics of any of these..!!

However, a Dunnock was preening and there was a second not far away.  I did wonder if this was a young one? but seems rather early!





Saw my first Orange Tip of the season..

and yet another record shot.. two Avocets here a Pulborough

A small flock of Shovellers took off..

BUT the highlight of the day, was this rather nice male bullfinch feeding off the blossom.. He was in deep and I needed Manual Focus so this was the best I could do.. nice to see him though!




Around in a pond were two newts... heavily edited image as the water was murky, to say the least!!


I headed off as it started to rain and decided to go to Arundel.. the idea being to park the car and look for Voles along the stream beneath Arundel Castle.  But, heavy parking as a result of the school hols put paid to that idea.. so, as I was now rather hungry.. I headed off for WWT Arundel...

Don't know what these birds are but think they're new Collection birds..


Dozens and dozens of tiny Mallards about..




Mum was keeping guard..


and a few Coot chicklets..

Screeming gulls!!  Wouldn't like to be on the receiving end of this one!!





Blondie...

with Mum and sibling!

Cootling - the only one and being fed by both parents!

and a final farewell!!

And with that it got rather black again, so I called it a day!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails