My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 5 October 2017

Burghley House. Park and Gardens



The Marquis of Burghley is the current 'occupant' of the House and 18th Baron Burghley; the house having been his family for several generations.  The first Lord Burghley being born in 1502.

The full history of the family can be found here...

The day was glorious albeit a strong cool wind.. so good to see some blue sky after the last few dull days...

I started with a wander down past the house to the lake









Fido posed at the Lion Bridge.. you can go across it but no access the other side..

Loads of Greylag Geese out in the field










Burghley is known for its herds of Fallow Deer, there must have been at least 200 here today all making their way from one grassy areato another





Fallow deer tend to rut later than Red Deer and these males were still quite happy in each others company..


and then a wander to the house to get my ticket.




Ticket acquired I headed off for the Garden of Surprises opened in 2007- all water features






















Then into the Sculpture Garden... I didn't see it all...






By now it was lunchtime and I was getting hungry... a very tasty fruit scone in the Garden Cafe.  It was really warm sitting outside in the sun and out of the wind.

and then a tour round the house.. which was amazing































I wandered outside to the court yard where I sat in the sun for a while watching the birds..

I'd intended to go to Stamford on the way back but decided to do it justice I would visit at another time.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails