My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 28 March 2008

A Couple of Days in West Sussex

I've spent the last two days down in West Sussex with my Mother.

Thursday was great. The sun shone warmly, blue skies and just a gentle breeze.
We had to do some shopping but then had a trip along the sea-front from Worthing, travelling west to Ferring.

At Ferring there is a lovely grassy walk which goes as far as East Preston; this is Kingston Gorse. There a considerable erosion problems at the East Preston end with the sea eroding the shore line.

Along the Ferring end are some incredibly large and very expensive houses. Some are beautiful and some - not so beautiful.

There is one that always catches my eye; you can't see a great deal of it but you can see the beautiful thatched roof. It appeals to my eye as it softly undulates from one end to the other. And it has two pheasant type reed birds perched on the roof.

We didn't walk far but far enough to enjoy the warmth of the sun and the sea air certainly blew the cobwebs away.

I tried to get a picture of a group of turnstones but had the wrong lens with me. I crept nearer but got too near and they flew off over the sea. Enjoyable to see them in flight nonetheless!

And today; it poured with rain most of the morning but watching the birds in the garden, we were rewarded with a male AND female Blackcap; a first for Mum's garden this year. It would be lovely if they were a pair and bred in the area.

Unfortunately, depending on your view point, Mum's been getting several visits from a Sparrowhawk with little piles of feathers as evidence. One dived across the garden this morning. Left with nothing though.

And finally, I was taken out to lunch in the village where my Mother lives - yummy!



I'm always fascinated by the thatched roof of this house.
The rather intrusive red brick wall belongs to the adjacent house.


Still not sure which river this is - might be part of the Arun.
It runs from near the sea, inland and is accessible from the car park
where we started our walk.

2 comments:

The Gorse Fox said...

Tricia
This is Ferring Rife, and it is considered part of the same river system as the Adur rather than the Arun.

Gorse Fox
(from Kingston Gorse)

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Gorse Fox and thank you for popping in to my blog.

I should have said Adur rather than Aran but thank you again for letting me know that it's Ferry Rife. Something my mother (who's lived in the area for 25 years plus) will be so pleased to know.

You live in a lovely part of the world. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails