My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Wednesday 9 January 2008

A Rare Sparrow

Those of you in the birding community may already know about the White-Crowned Sparrow which has arrived in Ley (in North Norfolk). It seems there are various theories as to why it should be so far away from it's own territory.

The owners of the garden where it has made its home have, in my view, a pragmatic approach to sharing the news. Not wanting hundreds of birders and twitchers invading their garden, they moved the bird feeders to an area where the birders could enjoy their watching without disturbing the owners.

My one main criticism of the article is its reference to what birders may wear.

I just wish to place it on record that I do not own, let alone wear,
AN ANORAK!

4 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

The words anorak and parka are now often used interchangeably, but when first introduced, they described somewhat different garments, and the distinction is still maintained by some. Strictly speaking, an anorak is a waterproof jacket with a hood and drawstrings at the waist and cuffs, and a parka is a knee-length cold-weather jacket or coat; typically stuffed with down or very warm synthetic fiber, and with a fur-lined hood. Originally an anorak specifically implied a pull-over jacket without a zipper, button or frogged opening, but this distinction is now largely lost, and many garments with a full-length front opening are now described as anoraks.


Nothing I have in my wardrobe remotely resembles the above!
Waterproof jacket/ski wear and walking jackets spring to mind.

The papers were really referring to the birders as " anoraks" as we are mystifying!
PS I went yesterday!

Tricia Ryder said...

Whilst I agree the term "anorak" is now used to be descriptive of a person, please note the reference here.

"Which is why the Norfolk village of Cley has been overwhelmed by an influx of twitchers, distinguishable by their anoraks, binoculars, hi-tech lenses and hushed excitement.
"

Eagleseagles said...

Tricia that comment(mine) was tongue in cheek since practically no one wears anoraks nowadays.No wink available!It was after all a piece from the Daily Mail!
I gather both the Independent and the Guardian did articles also- but I haven't seen them!
I will post some pics on my blog of the bird and the crowd on the day I saw the bird. The Monday sounds really hectic glad I couldn't go then!

Eagleseagles said...

The WCS even was reported in the Metro on Wednesday I gather!

Have a look at my blog Tricia to see a video of a WCS Convention!

http://eagles-eye-on-life.blogspot.com/

C

Related Posts with Thumbnails