My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 9 October 2008

Trees, Sculptures and a Lake

I was going on a deer hunt again today but this time with my camcorder. However, I changed my mind at the last minute and, after having done some food shopping and eaten a quick sandwich, I headed off for Winkworth Arboretum - created by Wilfrid Fox.

This is a National Trust property and the arboretum occupies one side of a steeply sloping hill. Entrance to the arboretum is from the top so you don't really appreciate the full view until you've clambered down to the lake, and from there to the Meadow beyond.

I'd anticipated that I might be a tad early for Autumn colour and this was the case. A few of the Maples had already started to become gold and bronze but I believe it will be much better in a couple of weeks.

If you visit and pick up a "map" don't expect it to be much use. Now whilst my sense of direction can leave a little to be desired at times (as Pete can testify!) others and I agreed that it was somewhat misleading in places and no reference given to the various "numbers" marked on it! However, you can't really go wrong as the lake has to be at the bottom, in the valley - doesn't it!

However, there was some colour to be seen:
(don't forget: just click on the pictures to enlarge for a better view!)





This is the sloping hillside (or you may be forgiven for thinking it's a sloping photographer!)


On the right-hand side of this picture is the Boat House which is not open every day.


You can walk through the Boat House and admire the lake from the balcony at the far end. Two adult and one juvenile Greylag Goose where enjoying the lake too.



When you walk around to the Meadow side you can look back at the Boathouse. And, of course with the sun shining and very little breeze, the reflections in the water were good - and I like reflections in water!

The arboretum is now visible around the lake and, as yet, no autumn colours.



Out in the meadow you can see also, one of three, Farmyard Ducks

At present there is a sculpture exhibition with most of the exhibits being made from "natural" materials.

This is the "first" view but

it seems to make more sense from the rear (if you'll pardon the pun please).

A "maple leaf" disc

Now this was made from things metallic and is a man's head - if you look carefully!
(Probably best to click on this picture to enlarge it!)


I liked these three most of all. I don't think they were part of the exhibition but, whether they were or not, there's something about tree roots!!



and finally, a tribute to the man who made it what it was today.

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Beautiful photographs....what a lovely place....

The tree roots are just my thing....I could certainly find room for them in my garden......

Tricia Ryder said...

Cheryl - they're great aren't they? I'd love some in my garden too :)

Lily said...

Thanks for dropping by my blog! I love the photos on yours - I've added a link on mine so others can enjoy your endeavours too!

Tricia Ryder said...

Hello Lily and nice to see you here. Many thanks for the link :D

Jane Adams said...

Beautiful colours and shapes, one of the good things about Autumn... Jane

oldcrow61 said...

What a beautiful place. The sculptures are amazing.

Related Posts with Thumbnails