My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 5 February 2011

Pas de Deux at London Wetland Centre

The sky was grey - it must be the weekend!!

Yesterday I went in search of a roosting Tawny Owl in Bushy Park.... I dipped!

There were signs of Spring though which was a cheery sight.


Today I headed off for Barnes (LWC)... very little about in terms of Waterfowl. But out on the Marsh were a pair of Peregrine Falcons just standing on the grass. Far too far away for a picture but lovely to see them nonetheless!

The twittering in the trees gave a clue to the small flock of Siskins going through. They are very clever at hiding so I was very lucky to get these shots through all the twiggy branches!


But walking back to the visitor centre for a cuppa, it was a pair of mute swans that were the star turn of the day. We stood there for some time whilst the happy couple dipped and bathed....










Apparently the Bittern was showing reasonably well, but it escaped my attention.

And, oh joy, the road over Barnes bridge is only one-way whilst essential maintenance is carried out so had to sit in a queue of traffic to get back on the usual route. Nice!

13 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

oi grumpy puss!!

nice to see peregrines and siskins. swan is good.

Tricia Ryder said...

Ooopos.. didn't mean to sound grumpy :(

It was a great sight... Siskins really cheery with the yellow and black markings!

And the swans really performed!

holdingmoments said...

Lovely shots of the swans Tricia.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Keith... they were rather obliging and reasonable close to us as well - which always helps!

Simon Taylor said...

love the Swans Tricia

Glo said...

Agreeing that the swan photos are terrific. They were surely performing a ballet just for you :) Bright little Siskins, too!

Billy Dykes said...

Hi Tricia,

Any chance I could get a heads up as to where the Tawny Owl roost is in Bushy? Would be great to finally get them on the patch :)

Thanks

oldcrow61 said...

Love the swans. Looks like spring is well on the way there.

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia, i do like the 2 opening shots!
The Siskins,lucky?? you seek you found, and look at the result.
The Swans, great stuff looks like enjoying a long stretch out! Nicely caught.

paul.

ShySongbird said...

Oh dear, will I ever catch up! I have just read and enjoyed all the posts since I commented on the Waxwings. I do hope you won't mind if I don't comment on them all individually, I did enjoy seeing the Kingfisher though and it was nice to see butterflies in the Winter. You clearly had a great time in Norfolk too. Lovely to see the Bullfinches, I hardly ever do :( Great swan photos here too :)

Unknown said...

It is never easy to get a clear photograph of the small woodland birds darting about in the trees. Goldcrests and Chiffchaff have given me a headache waiting for a clear view that never materialised.
Well done with the Siskins also the Swans. Nice Blog.

Eagleseagles said...

Sory you dipped the Tawny - I would try again when you are in the Park again as there are a lot of creepers to hide in - and it is there!

It took us a long time to spot the owl - ansBob knew exactly where it had been!

Talon's crossed for you!
C

Tricia Ryder said...

Simon - glad you liked them..

Glo - they definitely performed and were oblivious of our presence too.

Bill... if you send me an email (see address on blog) I can the reply and give you details.

OC - Fingers crossed it's coming... but temperatures dropping again tonight :(

Jan - my goodness you have been diligent catching up on everyone's blogs... you put me to shame! Glad you've enjoyed your reading though :)

Trevor... thank you for visiting and for your kind comments. I agree about the Goldcrests although I've had some luck with a Chiffy in the past.... still waiting to improve the pictures tho.

Related Posts with Thumbnails