My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Sunday 27 February 2011

Birds of Prey and some favourites!

The sun came out this morning... it was a rare but lovely sight.

Having discovered the birdhide at Polsden Lacey the other day, I decided to return with my camera. I was earlier than previously which meant the sun was in the wrong place and the birds in shade. I'll get better as time goes on!!

Many blue tits coming to the feeders.

and then I heard and saw the Nuthatch.. wonderfully pretty birds.

I decided to go on to RHS Wisley as they had Birds of Prey being flown... ah, thought I, some flight shots!

As I got there the sun disappeard behind ever darkening clouds. The birds were resting awaiting their flight time in a couple of hours. So some shots whilst they had their R & R.

I really don't think that this one wanted it's picture taken at all and its expression suggested I was invading its privacy ;)

A Barn Owl was rewarded with a meal.

Decided to go onto the Birdhide. The Kingfisher was present but skulking over the far side behind trees and eventually disappeared from view. And.... by now it had started raining!!

An obliging Treecreeper appeared and was then followed by another; they flitted about for a while before flying off elsewhere.


And on my way back, this Blackbird landed in front of me - its expression defying me to overtake it!



By the time I got back to the Birds of Prey, the rain was torrential so that was it for the day... I arrived back at the car (in the now emptying car park) rather soggy for my drive home.

Pity really....... I expect we will have less rain at some time; it's just of matter of..... when?

8 comments:

oldcrow61 said...

I have to say that I really do like the birds of prey. They are such handsome birds. Your tree creeper looks a lot like our brown creeper.

Roy said...

Brilliant images Tricia and you caught up with the Treecreeper again.

Unknown said...

Some super photos and another great walk. Boom & Gary of the Vermilon River, Canada.

holdingmoments said...

Those Birds of Prey are excellent Tricia, as are the Treecreeper shots.

Tricia Ryder said...

OC - they really are such good lookers indeed! The creepers are very very similar...

Roy - Thank you. I'd just mentioned to another visitor that "that tree is very good for treecreepers" when one appeared"! So.... I shall be saying "that tree is very good for white tailed eagles" next visit ;)

Gary and Boom: thanks and glad to have you along.

Keith - many thanks. I know they're captive birds but it does make taking pictures much easier! And if the light had been better for the treecreepers then... who knows!! ;)

Ragged Robin said...

Great bird photos, Tricia. I like the frog pictures in the previous post too. You did well to manage to catch sight of the frogs - although there is plenty of spawn now in our pond the frogs dive for cover as soon as I get within yards!

Randy Emmitt said...

Tricia,

Enjoyed these photos! Especially the Barn owl if I am correct? Great job...;

Glo said...

What tremendous images! Bluetits are such colourful sweet looking birds, and you're right, the expression on that beaked face looked rather intimidating; I had to cough when I saw the 'meal' hanging out of the beak, (gag reflex and all ;) The little treecreeper is very cute ~ you've got photos of all shapes and sizes...so a great collection of excellent photos.

Related Posts with Thumbnails