My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Monday 7 February 2011

Tawny Owl? No.......

I went to the tip and the charity shop this morning - I've been having a clear out; I feel very noble!!

But at about 2 pm I noticed the sun was peeping through the grey. So I headed off for a brief visit to Bushy Park. As I entered the Park, there must have been a couple of hundred black-headed gulls in and around the Diana Fountain pond.. never seen so many.

Egyptian Geese are so noisy now and obviously in pairs.

Did I see the Tawny Owl? No - I didn't! It was very windy though and the birds were scudding across the sky as fast as the clouds.

In the Pheasantry Garden, the Mandarin Ducks are back - in all four males and one female. These two seemed to be a pair and stuck close to each other. The other 3 males were off to the other side of the pond.




In the woods, Blue, Long-tailed and Great Tits were everywhere and the bird song generally is getting much more noticeable now - lovely!

I walked on through the woods; the trees providing shelter from the strong winds. I followed this female Great Spotted Woodpecker on her journey up the tree managing to get a shot before she disappeared altogether!

And not far on, another great visitor - Goldcrest!! Pity I missed focusing on the bird and managed the sky instead! They always look so grumpy!!

A Grey Heron presented itself as a model as it watched for a meal.

And Herons can have a "bad hair" day in the wind too!

And the Mohonia; although on its way out now, gave a golden glow as I left for home.


Not bad for a quick walk about... and perhaps one day I might get the Tawny :D

9 comments:

Chris said...

Well as you said not bad at all.... The goldcrest is very nice, but I would love to get the mandarin ducks like this, both male and female... Well done Tricia, and next time you will get the tawny...

Billy Dykes said...

Good luck with the Tawnies, Tricia. Very nice profiles of that male Mandarin and Grey Heron by the way.

Email sent to the address you mentioned :)

Dominic Gendron said...

The duck images are awseome!

Randy Emmitt said...

Wow on those Mandarin Ducks, they really posed in great light. The woodpecker is a charmer also.

Glo said...

First off, congratulations on the clear out ~ it seems never ending, doesn't it? I'm still in the midst.

Your photo of the Mandarin duck knocked my socks off! Just beautiful. You have a lovely array as usual, and still have the adventure awaiting searching for the Tawny!

ShySongbird said...

I always think the Mandarins look so striking, I have never seen one round here.

A Goldcrest and a GSW too! Not bad at all for a 'quick walk about' Tricia :)

oldcrow61 said...

Always good to have a clear out. Almost my time to do the same. The Mandarins are so beautiful. Fabulous shots you've taken.

Tricia Ryder said...

Chris.. thank you. Not often you see the male and female together like this... right place, at the right time!

Bill D... I went back the following day but still no joy. By now, you should have received my reply with directions.

Dominic - Very many thanks for your kind words.

Randy. They were very obliging considering there wasn't much sun around.

Glo.... thanks - it's an ongoing task but there's light at the end of the tunnel! Good luck with yours.

Jan..These are regulars in the park and have appeared again after the winter. They bred here last year so I'm hoping there will be little ones about gain this Spring!

OC - I'm getting there ;)
And the mandarins are stunning birds!

holdingmoments said...

Love the new header picture Tricia.

First shot of the Mandarin is a beauty, and a great capture of the 'bad hair day' Heron.

Related Posts with Thumbnails