My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 22 May 2008

More Walkies

Today Boo and I explored one of the remaining Esher Common areas - Ardbrook Common.

In some ways the name's misleading as this is a mainly a wooded area with a mixture of coniferous and deciduous trees. It's a very pretty wood and although not huge, ideal for a goodish circular walk and there's a well-trodden path along the side of The Rhythe as it winds it's way through the trees.

The general information about Ardbrook is with an emphasis on birds, and I quote

The birdlife of the woodland is rich and varied, particularly on Arbrook Common and many uncommon species nest here. Look out for green and greater spotted woodpeckers, goldcrests, jays, nuthatches, warblers and tits as well as birds of prey such as kestrels, sparrowhawks and tawny owls."

I heard and saw Great-Spotted Woodpeckers, Robins, Blackbirds and Pheasant. I heard a Song Thrush, Chaffinches, Greenfinches.

But, disappointingly I didn't see any Birds of Prey or Goldcrests. Another day perhaps.

And I'm now off duty for 48 hours so I won't have a walking companion until Sunday. I wonder where we'll go then? I shall probably let my grandson decide.

And water is - for paddling in







And around the pond when at home several pairs of
Blue Damselflies were flitting about the pond

and a Bumble Bee was enjoying the Iris.

3 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

cute doggy

i think your damsel is azure. look at the abdomen

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Pete. You may well be right - will have to consult my Dragons book :)

Tricia Ryder said...

Ocean - Thank you for my gift; I feel very honoured - and for your kind comments :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails