My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Tuesday 27 May 2008

A watery surprise

I have an ever increasing amount of duck weed in my garden pond, and no ducks to help me out with the pond cleaning. In order to "skim" this off the top of the water I have a very useful square net on a long handle.

So there I was this afternoon, whilst the cloud covered the sun and consequently the tadpoles weren't on the top of the water, gently skimming across the top.

When I lifted the net after the third time, and having put back a few tadpoles on the previous occasions, I found a had a completely new visitor to my pond:

A common Newt - Whey Hey. Unfortunately the camera was in the house, the newt was in the net which I couldn't put down and I only had one pair of hands. Therefore I very gently lowered the net back into the pond, and the newt swam away.

So no pictures of the newt or anything else today.

Just so pleased to see my new resident and hope to see more of this visitor and his/her friends in the following days.

2 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

its not a great crested is it?

Tricia Ryder said...

I don't think so, although I'd like it to be. It wasn't until I consulted my wildlife book that I realised that the 3 species were so alike. I didn't keep it out of the water for too long.

If I see it again, I'll be more prepared to note details :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails