My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 24 January 2009

A quick trip to Barnes

Today we had a very frosty start with the pond and bird baths being covered in a layer of ice. I nipped out first thing to fill up the feeders and break up the ice - oh boy! was it cold!! This done and back in the warm it wasn't long before the water had iced over again.

The forecast promised better weather today than tomorrow, so off I headed for the London Wetland Centre at Barnes.

Not a great deal of excitement; the bittern had been seen where I was looking for it and two water voles had been seen in the usual spot. Did I see Bittern or Water Vole - of course not!!

A brief look at what I did see - which wasn't a great deal and mostly record shots due to - yep you guessed it - bad light for photography!!

Stonechat

Snipe - if you enlarge the picture (by clicking on it) you might find the cunningly hidden Snipe!!

Lapwing

Cormorant

Robin

Grey Heron


Moorhen - several Moorhens displaying and males fighting today


Collection birds:
American Wood Duck

Cranes - a new addition




I then got a telephone call from someone I'd promised a lift to so - Tricia's Taxi Service was galvanised into action!!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hidden Snipe, bottom right at the front of, are they reeds or weeds Tricia? like the other pics too.


paul.

Tricia Ryder said...

Reeds mainly Paul - just wish it had come out a bit!

Yoke, said...

Lovely post, Tricia. I'm envious because I haven't been able to get out for weeks!

That Snipe does stand out in the picture, but in real life it is much harder to spot it, of course!

Tricia Ryder said...

Sorry to hear you've not been able to get out, Yoke.

Yes - the snipe was very well hidden.

FAB said...

Well done for getting out today. I just managed to fill the feeders & clean the window(s)!
Nice pose by the Stonechat.

Tricia Ryder said...

...and well done to you Frank for getting the window(s) done....

... so when you're next my way :D

Quail said...

Lovely pics! I'll be visiting soon so it's nice to have a sneak preview!

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Quail and thanks.

I hope you enjoy your visit. If you can choose a good day weather wise, that would be great!!

Eagleseagles said...

Love the reflective Heron shot!

The Cranes seem to be settling in now....bless 'em!

No Water Pipits then, Tricia?

C

Anonymous said...

Great pics. I didn't know barnes had cranes. Well done for spotting the snipe, I missed some just in front of me once, until they moved! :)

Tricia Ryder said...

Neil - the Cranes are a very recent addition to the collection.

I can't claim the credit for spotting the Snipe - someone else in the hide spotted it and I then followed the line of their scope Lol! They have excellent camouflage

Related Posts with Thumbnails