My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 5 February 2009

Garden visitors

After the brilliant and warm sun of yesterday, this morning dawned with grey skies and heavy rain. This has now turned the remaining snow on the roads and pavements to slippery slush - nice!

The bird numbers in the garden have returned to normal for this time of the year with the Goldfinches now about 17 and only something in the region 8 greenfinches. The blackbirds number about 6 which is a very high number for a garden that normally only sees one occasionally. The Song Thrush continues to put in the occasional appearance (last seen yesterday). I haven't seen either of the Bramblings for two-three days now. BUT Mr. and Mrs. Blackcap continue their feeding regime and yesterday and, amazingly again today, I had a very very rare visit from a Pied Wagtail.

Wonder what tomorrow will bring in terms of weather and birds...


Don't think it likes getting its feet cold ..

Mrs. Blackcap

15 comments:

Warren Baker said...

Nice to see the Blackcap tricia, a taste of summer!

Liz said...

If only we'd had rain.

Yet more snow again, getting very stressed and annoyed with it now.

I've taken tomorrow off so I don't have to battle my way to/from work yet again!

I'm glad to see you still have Mr and Mrs Blackcap visiting, lovely photos Tricia :)pic

Joe said...

Hi Tricia,

Good to hear that your Blackcap is still visiting. Some good photos too by the way :-) I have only seen 1 Blackcap on one occasion in our garden this year, but I hope they will return.

I still can't believe the number of Goldfinches you get. Its amazing. The most we have ever had is around 7, although they are very regular.

I'd love to see a Pied Wagtail in our garden. I always see them in our school playground and outdoor eating area. :-)

Cheryl said...

Nice pics......we still have a little snow here but to be honest I will be glad to see the back of it. Trying to get along country lanes without any grit on them has been a nightmare to say the least.....

oldcrow61 said...

I know what that snowy slush is like. I dread it, very dangerous to drive on. Great pictures.

Tricia Ryder said...

Warren - roll on summer!
Liz - more snow forecast for tonight - wish it would go away too!
Joe - I seem to get more finches than anything else! Don't know why.
Cheryl - I agree with you utterly!
OC - yes - really scary stuff even just to walk on on the pavements.

Anonymous said...

A Blackcap Tricia, I wish!
Got to be April before we see them up here.

Tricia Ryder said...

Roy - it's interesting as I only seem to get them in the winter - by the end of the winter/beginning of spring they've gone and I don't see them again until the following winter!

Anonymous said...

Sorry Tricia, that's because they all then come up to us. {:)

The Wessex Reiver said...

Had a female blackcap today, so this week that's 2 seperate males and a female, they tend to come into gardens in the winter as many come over from the near continent so expand the numbers. They head back leaving our chaps to head out into the countryside in the spring... keep an eye out, they'll be there, just harder to see behind a leaf.

Tricia Ryder said...

~Ah - so that's where they disappear to Roy :)

Thanks for the info. Andrew - I'll keep my eyes open when I'm out and about in the Spring. Well done on your three current visitors.

Tony Morris said...

I had one in the garden early in the winter, but it seems to have disappeared, shouldn't be too many weeks before they start singing (hope)!

Yoke, said...

Should've come to our tropics! No snow here (yet!)

I'm jealous of your Blackcaps though.

Lovely photos again, Tricia.

Stacey Olson said...

I love the little birds.. they keep our daily lives so full of life and happiness... thanks for sharing

Tricia Ryder said...

Sorry for the delay in replying

Tony and Stacey - welcome!

Tony - to hear them singing soon would be great.

Yoke - thanks. I would wish you snow free days!!

Stacey - I agree!

Related Posts with Thumbnails