My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Monday 28 April 2008

A great day at RSPB Minsmere - the full story.

As I mentioned yesterday, had a wonderful weekend with a trip to Minsmere on the Sunday (see also yesterday's brief post).

Lots of birds that I'd not seen before: Bearded Tit, Grasshopper Warbler and Whitethroat amongst them.

Whilst I'd seen Marsh Harriers before, here they were in abundance flying in groups - wow! Artic terns were very in evidence as were Avocets - one of my favourites.

The star of the show had to be a Bittern who was about 15 feet away from the hide and showed really well for the budding photographer.

Black-headed gulls predominated many of which were nesting.

Swallows were swooping over the sluice gates.

Bird song everywhere and none so charming as a soaring Skylark. On the way back to the visitor centre for a cuppa (none available - they were shut by the time we got there), we were serenaded by the wonderful song of a Nightingale - amazing sound. I managed to see movement in the tree but didn't actually spot it or though others did.

So here are the pics:
Lont-tailed tit coming in to land.

Many, many Black-headed gulls nesting

Avocet

Greylag Goose

...just landed

and the star... shy at first..

...sussing us all out no doubt...

.. deciding that we weren't worth being worried about

.. and stretching that very long neck..

.. and finally coming into full view.

and a Muntjac - first I've seen.

4 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

lovely photos trish

Anonymous said...

I would agree with Pete - great photos. It was a good weekend and it was lovely to see you again.

I've linked to you from my blog, by the way.

Tricia Ryder said...

Nice to see you both again and enjoyed your company.

Thanks for the comment and the link.

Eagleseagles said...

Love the Bittern photos!!

And the little chap landing!

Would have loved to have been at Minsmere as I had already planned but I'm afraid the London Elections meant I had to be working hard!Hopefully next year there will be no elections for me and I can meet up with everyone again. You always get such good birds!

C

Related Posts with Thumbnails