My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Sunday 7 December 2008

Bird Walk

This morning it was up with the lark and at just after 8.30 a.m. I headed off for RHS Wisley for one of their Bird Walks. Frank Boxall introduced the walk giving us an idea of what we might see, and David Elliott was our other expert. This walk is great for those wishing to learn more about our garden and native birds and some of the winter visitors.

Again the weather was a perfect winter's day. The views around Wisley were a winter wonderland with a thick frost having come down during the night. I just wished I'd taken my landscape lens with me. Brilliant sunshine once again with a clear blue sky and still air - wonderful!

We started off at 9.30 a.m. and finished by about 12.30 in which time, I recorded having seen the following birds:

Blackbirds, Chaffinch, Robin, Goldfinches, Ring-necked Parakeets, Collared Doves, Wood Pigeon, Great Spotted Woodpeckers, Jays, Siskins, Mistle Thrush, Black-headed Gulls, Mallards, Mute Swan, Moorhen, Canada Gees, Gold Crests, Song Thrush, Great, Blue and Coal Tits, Nuthatch, Greenfinches, Fieldfares and Redwings. - 25 species. Dipped on the Kingfisher that frequents the Rive Wey so hope that's for another day.

Most of the birds I've taken pictures of before and others (that I wanted pics of) were too far away. Never mind - just a few pics.
It's 9.00 a.m. and the sun light gives the conifer a warm glow..


Collared Dove

And with the festive season almost upon us...


Jay, either burying or retrieving nuts!

Glasshouse reflections..

and the fountains too

Seasonal colours..

A mass of white berries of the Sorbus Glabrescens (or White Fruited Rowan)
(with thanks to David Elliot of RHS Wisley for the identification)


Thanks to Frank and David for a very enjoyable bird walk around the gardens of RHS Wisley.

12 comments:

Cheryl said...

What a fabulous post and you had a beautiful day....

The robin almost seems to be speaking to you....they are charming birds, are they not?

The dogwoods are stunning, I grow them here, they bring such beautiful colour into the garden.....

Pop over, I know you like your birds....I got some photos of a Tree Creeper today......

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Cheryl - robins are great in my view!

I shall definitely pop over.....

Liz said...

Lovely photos Tricia :)

I wish I'd had chance to get frosty pictures too, more so frosty twinkling photos as the sun hits it.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Liz - know what you mean about twinkling frost. That's one of the really good things about winter!

mick said...

Frosty conditions sound really great to me at present. It has been very hot and humid over the last couple of days. What are the beautiful white berries?

Tricia Ryder said...

Mick - I don't know what they are but when I find out, I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Well, what can I say? What a wonderful walk once again, thank you Tricia.

The berries look like the white Rowan berries the Waxwing swarm at Edinburgh was feeding from, don't they?

Tricia Ryder said...

Carin - glad you enjoyed the walk

The berries are similar to the Rowan in the way in which the grow and form. I'm waiting to hear what the tree is though.

I'd quite like one in my garden!

oldcrow61 said...

Once again, lovely photos. The Robin is very cute.

Shirley said...

Hi again Trisha:-)

‘Bird walks’ around a garden what a wonderful idea! It has been some time since I have visited Wisley (a horrible very wet day sadly). Great to see your photos – yes you had to include the Robin too :-D

I think it was back in February that after a walk around Edinburgh Botanical gardens I realised these large gardens, especially in winter months, are wonderful places for seeing a variety of birds. I saw a bullfinch and tree creeper for the first time!

Wow… I have to say I was amazed at the parquets in your garden in the ‘Nature’s Top 40’ programme. I am sure I have seen photos in your blog before but it clearly didn’t register that they were in your garden! Thanks for passing on the mention of the programme. I have been recording it and have thoroughly enjoyed it. Oh yes… it was nice to see you in your garden too :-D

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Shirl. Sorry your trip to Wisley wasn't on a better day. Another time when you're "down south" perhaps :)

Gardens you can visit such as Edinburgh Botanical and Wisley have such a wide variety of plants that that in itself, I'm sure, has to attract a wide variety of wildlife visitors.

Tricia Ryder said...

Mick - I can now tell you that the berries are from the
Sorbus Glabrescens (or White Fruited Rowan Tree)

Related Posts with Thumbnails