My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 7 May 2009

A nip back to Bushy!

Grey, cold and windy. Three words that sum up the Spring weather we've had in my neck of the woods today. Rain had threatened - but still not materialised.

Earlier on today, I sent an email to the Wildlife Officer for Bushy Park commending him for the precautions he has taken to safeguard the Mute Swan parents.

By the afternoon, I couldn't resist any longer and had to go to Bushy Park to find out how many cygnets the pair of swans have had. Well I definitely found out. I took so many pictures and I'm still processing them, so they won't be ready to post until sometime tomorrow.

However, they were not the only point of interest today. As I drove over Hampton Court Bridge to get to the park, the calls of the Swifts announced their arrival - there were about 3 - 4. Couldn't tell exactly - I was driving at the time!!

A Grey Heron was intent upon finding a meal - which it did very successfully; it was dining off tadpoles of which there were hundreds!







I'd been taking pictures of the cygnets etc. and turned round to find this Fallow Deer buck. Now what I don't know (and need to find out) is whether the two protuberances on his head and the remains of last year's antlers or the new growth of this - I'm inclined towards the latter!

The inevitable Egyptian Goose flew over the pond

And I saw (for me) the first Red Crested Pochard family




That's all for now. I must get something to eat!!

16 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

nice heron pics

Jan said...

I just posted on BBF Tricia, saw my first Swifts here today too. Welcome sight, well would be if we had some nice summer weather to go with it.

Phil said...

Wonderful pictures of the heron. My guess is that the antlers are new ones, growing.

holdingmoments said...

Cracking set of pictures Tricia.
The Heron shots are excellent, especially the beak that's just dipped into the water.
A Red Crested Pochard family is something I've never seen before; just a lone male on my local last year. Nice one.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Pete :)

Jan - I couldn't agree more about the weather!

Greenfingers - welcome and good to see you here. Thanks for the kind comments. I'm inclined to agree with you. I think they would have lost the old antlers a few weeks ago.

I really like your world "in miniature".

Keith - thank you - it was totally ignoring me it was so intent on fishing or "tadpoling"!

They bred in Bushy last year but I don't know how many broods there were. There are many RC Pochards about on the ponds there.

FAB said...

Lovely shots of the Heron. Good to see so many chicks around at the moment although predation from various sources will take their toll. FAB

P.S. You are correct - New antlers.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Frank. Predation only too likely at Bushy. I've heard from two different people that the Bushy rat is back and visible. Hey ho!

Janine said...

Awesome heron pics Tricia!

Midmarsh John said...

Really excellent Heron series.
I've noticed with the garden birds that they are so intent in getting all the food they need for themselves and their broods that they notice me less.

Tricia Ryder said...

Janine - thanks - it was a very obliging Heron.

John - thank you. I haven't got any garden youngsters yet, but I know what you mean though.

Anonymous said...

The shots of the Red Crested Pochard family a very nice find indeed Tricia. I have never seen young of that species.

JRandSue said...

One word.
Brilliant.
John.

Tricia Ryder said...

Hi Roy - I think we're lucky to have them breeding here.

John - Wow - thank you!

ShySongbird said...

Great photos, Loved the Heron ones.

Snowbabies said...

What more can I say, just fantasic shots
Debbie :o)

Tricia Ryder said...

Jan - thanks - the Heron was a gift to photograph!

Debbie - Hi! and thank you for lovely comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails