My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Wednesday 4 January 2012

Red Breasted Merganser - what a surprise!

I'd been to Woods Mill Nature Reserve in Sussex today - lots of mud and not much else about today.  I had time to kill before picking my grandson up from school so decided to have a look at Widewater Lagoon on the way back.  I've always thought of this being Shoreham but technically it's Lancing.

I'd been to the Lagoon last year when down on a visit - a Little Egret was the bird of note on that occasion.

I drove into the car park!  What are they?  Woo hoo 3 male and 3 female Red breasted Mergansers.  The sea was very rough so they may have sought shelter in the lagoon.  Just a car park separates sea and lagoon.

I managed some pics but the ISO was up as high as a dared... the light was dreadful and in the end rain stopped play.

I understood from another birder that there were 2 Snow Buntings further up on the beach.  Pity I hadn't got time (or the weather!) to go and find them.

So some, (definitely record shot) pics!












After a while all six were diving for food... think this one may have caught something - but the jury's out!




4 comments:

holdingmoments said...

Nice one Tricia.
They are lovely birds.

Cindy said...

Great looking birds. I rarely get to see birds like this. I think I need to get out and explore more. Who know what I might find. Happy New Year.

Roy said...

Pretty good shots, under the circumstances Tricia.

Randy Emmitt said...

Tricia,

I can feel your excitement! We usually can find these along our coast in winter if one knows where to look.

Related Posts with Thumbnails