My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 23 June 2016

Corfe Castle and Swanage.. - Boats and Trains..

Real trip down memory lane today.  I headed off after breaky to the Sandbanks Chain Ferry which is in Poole.

There's always a danger you have to queue in the high season.. and the road allows for this.  But today - I drove straight up.. the only wait was for the ferry to reach 'our' side - for the cars to drive off.. and for us to drive on!!


and the ferry left the bank I looked back.. the ferry wasn't even full.. this is a first time experience!!

Across on the Studland side (the area is National Trust) I stopped to enjoy the view.  Pity that is was so glary and hazy..



Mr Ponders rather enjoyed the heathland as well..


In the fields, lambs were still feeding from their Mums...

and this one was enjoying a scratch..



First stop was to visit Corfe Castle.  I'd used the NT car part and then went along the "wildlife" walk up to the village and castle.  The stream was full and fast flowing.



Getting nearer...




















As I returned I stopped for a scone and a cuppa.... not one of the best NT scones but the flavour was nice..

My companions



and from Corfe I went on the Steam Railway into Swanage ..












and as we moved out of the station, Ponders thought this was rather good

Corfe Castle from the train



When the train came into the station it then had to move to what was then the front of the train..






One of the volunteer railway staff had this in his top pocket.. the bear's name is Brunel!!


and then a walk to the current pier...


The old jetty... which has been there for as long as I remember.. which is at least 3 decades from my last visit






At the very far end.. Old Harry rocks




and time to get the train back.. passed this at the end of the pier.. not quite sure what it represents!!




I lovely day out.. and I drove only about 30 odd miles in total...

1 comment:

The Quacks of Life said...

nice to see Ponders enjoying himself! I'd have driven and not got the ferry ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails