My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Sunday 11 November 2018

100 Hundred years on - 11 November 2018 - My gratitude.

And today we mark the occasion of the 100th anniversary of when the guns fell silent marking the end of the 1st World War.  It was traumatic for all involved and tragic that so many lives were lost...the sacrifice made by brave men and women who fought to preserve peace for those who remained.

And then, a few years later, the advent of the 2nd World War; started on 1 September 1939 and ended on 2 September 1945.

Today... both these events, and other wars, in which men and women gave their lives and their families counted the cost, we thank each and every one of you for the sacrifice you made for us.

My Mum and Dad


My mother - was in the Women's Voluntary Service during WW2 - working from dawn to dusk with primitive accommodation...She died only recently aged 96; this year she would have been 99!



My Canadian father - Frank, - came over here from Canada in 1939 during WW2 with the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada to serve in the war. He met and married my mother -  then he had a daughter, me, and a son.


He was killed in action, aged 24, in Italy, and is buried at the Moro River Canadian War Cemetery which is in the locality of San Donato in the Commune of Ortona, Province of Chieti... The Cemetery is on high ground near the sea.  Sadly I never knew him ... but would loved to have known him - my mother used to say that, at times, I reminded her of him... a great compliment to me!

My Maternal Grandfather - John.  He was a member of the Home Guard during WW2.  The rifle he was demonstrating blew up... he was taken into hospital with severe injuries - had both legs amputated.. and shortly after that, he died, leaving my grandmother a widow for many years until she died aged 93 about 40 years later - she loved him very much and never remarried.  He died about a month before my mother and father were married.


My story is, sadly, not untypical and there are many families who suffered much more than ours...

Life is so precious and I treat it with gratitude - it should be cherished always
I am so lucky to have my younger family and I love you Carl, Sharon and Josh

So to all and everyone who gave up so much, and to their families,
I say the most heartfelt

"THANK YOU"


No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails