My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Thursday 20 September 2012

RNLI Shoreham and some Cormorants..

I went to my favourite camera shop today looking for a camera bag... I dipped on that - found one or two that nearly fitted my spec. but shall continue looking.

Following on from there I decided to go see what was happening in Shoreham Harbour.  I'd seen the new Lifeboat House being built and today I stopped in the car park as the lifeboat house was open to the public.

A very nice volunteer invited me in and set me off on the tour.  It was quite incredible to see the boats and the interior of the boathouse close up!

I started by walking down the shingle beach to the sea edge( and down on a very slippery jetty) where a couple of mute swans were lazing about with some gulls.




A few turnstones - turned stones and looked for food.

The Lighthouse

A boat left the harbour and headed out to sea.


So into the Lifeboat House... amazing!!







Up the stairs to the top floor and the view from it!



Two slipways - one each for the Lifeboat and the Inshore boat








From there I drove along through Shoreham, over the bridge and back along the road on the other side.  From there I could view the boathouse across the river..







A very large boat was coming into the harbour..



and a small one ...


There's an old Fort on the 'other side' which I discovered for the first time today.
Shoreham Old Fort  - work to build the fort began in 1857





A view from the fort across the river to the Lifeboat House





Shoreham Port and Shoreham Beach... the beach is a wildlife area







Fascinating.  But by now I was exceedingly hungry so lunch was needed.  I went to Wildwater Lagoon to see if the food kiosk was open.  It was.  And a coffee and bacon sandwich (very nice) was enjoyed whilst watching a family of 2 adult and 5 mute swan cygnets.  One Little Egret.  I fly over of 5 swallows going out over the sea and a few cormorants.





And finally, home.  An unplanned and rather pleasant day.

1 comment:

holdingmoments said...

Great to see inside the lifeboat station.

Related Posts with Thumbnails