My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 29 August 2008

Garden wildlife

Some days, the creative juices for a blog item, will not flow. Perhaps it's the continuous grey cloudy weather that seems to merge one day into the next.

I suppose the measure of what has been done in a day and how news worthy/exciting that is, could be judged by - is it worth blogging about? As far as today is concerned, in the main, NO! Food shopping and various domestic activities - WOW!

More tidying up in the garden and this time the pond came under scrutiny. Which was good - four common frogs were coming up for a breather and, having felt something cold and wet next to my ankle, I looked to find a toad keeping me company.

A red dragonfly took a rest beside the pond and, sweeping over and around was a larger relative - think it was an Emperor (no picture though!)

Throughout the morning, a moth has slept on on the lounge wall and is still there waiting for dusk.

So despite the fact of not going wildlife hunting away from the house, not a bad catch. Of course, my usual garden birds were about including today a female Great Spotted Woodpecker.






Common darter I think

Closest I can get to an ID is - Brimstone Moth but there's something about it that suggests it's not!
And - it's not. It's a Yellow Shell - thanks to Steve for the ID

6 comments:

Steve Gale said...

Tricia, your Brimstone is in fact a Yellow Shell. Keep up the moth recording!

Steve Gale said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks for that Steve - I didn't even know there was a moth of this name.

Cheryl said...

Fabulous post.....I just love toads...we used to get them in the garden but I have not seen any this year....

It is amazing how many people think moths are boring.....if you look at the patterns and colours on some of them, they are equal to butterflies in many ways......

oldcrow61 said...

Lovely moth, they're so interesting. I wouldn't mind having that toad around. Handsome fellow!

Tricia Ryder said...

Isn't he just OC - glad to have him around - hope he overwinters here.

Related Posts with Thumbnails