My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 9 August 2008

Why am I not surprised?

Most of you will be aware of the 3,000 blank Passports that were stolen last week (see here for the BBC News account). At the time, it was claimed the stolen items couldn't be used as "passports" because of the technology used in producing them. The Times (a couple of days ago) now points out that this is not the case! Not, I imagine, that many of you will be surprised about this!

And I quote:
Using his own software, a publicly available programming code, a £40 card reader and two £10 RFID chips, Mr van Beek took less than an hour to clone and manipulate two passport chips to a level at which they were ready to be planted inside fake or stolen paper passports.

I always consider denials, following Government faux pas, rather empty statements and this one is no different than others.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm not surprised at all! I was wondering how long it would take for someone to get round this.

Cheryl said...

I am not surprised Tricia and that is no more than I expected.....

Related Posts with Thumbnails