My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Tuesday 19 June 2012

Is it summer today? WWT Arundel and Pulborough Brooks... just a quick visit

The sun came out this morning; the clouds cleared; it was warm!!!  Pity it couldn't have been like this on the last couple of days last week.. never mind..

I had a bit of free time today..rest of the week's a bit busy.  So whereto?  I decided to stay local and started off at WWT Arundel.  As I started walking out of the car park, I espied a couple of friends who I haven't seen for some considerable time... nice to see you again Malcolm and Elizabeth.

There were a goodly number of people but not that many birds.  Warblers sang though and, surprisingly, there were broods of new Mallard Ducklings and also Moorhens.

In this particular brood there were 11 ... and mostly resting on the boardwalk supervised by Mum!!

But one or two leapt off into the water... plop!!


Despite the new broods (and obvious 'actions' that would suggest more eggs might be on the way!) some of the male Mallards are already going into eclipse.



Three young cygnets from this brood.


And the swallows that I observed building their nest a few weeks ago are now very evidently on eggs... wonderful :D

A pair of Mute Swans circled several times over head.


Very quiet today and some of the paths were, very temporarily close for resurfacing, so I decided a quick visit to Pulborough Brooks before heading off to Park Cameras was called for.

My first dragon of the year - a four-spot chaser.. nice one!

And many warblers singing - Black Cap, Common Whitethroat, Chiffchaffs - no pics though!

But this Blue Tit was hunting for food and entertained.



I was looking for a harness from which to hang two cameras...but as they were much more costly than I'd remembered I abandoned looking and headed off home.

Good to be out in the sun though..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well if it was summer, it certainly isn't now. The little ducklings are lovely. Glad you had a good holiday.

Related Posts with Thumbnails