My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 29 June 2012

Kestrels, Wrens and Little Grebes

Up north of the Thames today as it's a concert weekend.  I pottered around some shops today looking for various holiday items... not really found what I'm looking for but got some bits and pieces.

It was raining as I arrived in Essex so I abandoned thoughts of visiting Hatfield Forest.  As I drove the sun came out and it got very warm.  I headed off to Rye Meads.

A thistle head.. now gone

Out of the draper hide, some Mute Swan cygnets


a young coot with Mum
and a lonely little tufted duck.


As I started walking, I saw two young kestrels high up in a tree.  The wind was very strong and they seemed to have difficulty staying still on their branch.




Wandered on to the Kingfisher hide.  The chicks are hatched as just as I arrived, both Mum and Dad flew out and off...  oh bother.

One of the kestrels (the nest box is high up on a pylon opposite the hide) came and stayed for a bit just outside the hide door.

A pair of wrens must have been nesting nearby as they were extremely noisy in their protest at the kestrels presence.  The kestrel seem uninterested in the wren's presence!




And on my way back I called in again at the Draper Hide.  Two adult Little Grebes  with their two young one were about


Then a further 2 adults appeared and war was declared.





A very pleasant afternoon in the sunshine and warmth.

3 comments:

Eagleseagles said...

I wouldn't have known whether it was a teasel or a thistle and does it really matter when its not there as it were!
Shame about the KF but the Kestrels photos are good!

Concert on Sunday - so where to tomorrow?

Rob said...

Gorgeous Kestrel Photos, thanks for sharing!

Gaina said...

Wonderful photographs! I particularly like the one of the Kestrel on the ground :).

Related Posts with Thumbnails