My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Sunday 15 January 2017

Saffron Hall - a wonderful afternoon

It's been a very dreary day weather wise today but this afternoon it was as if the sun was shining.  Having intended to visit Audley End before the concert the weather dictated we went straight to the concert... and wow!!

We were at Saffron Hall for some musical delights provided by the Bergen Philharmonic Orchestra with the conductor Edward Gardener.

The first piece, was
Greig's Peer Gynt Suite

 -  a piece that I grew up on but today was the first time I heard/saw a live performance - one of excellence

Second on the agenda was Elgar's Cello Concerto in E minor Op85 - the cellist being Leonard Elschenbroich - the orchestra and cellist kept me enrapt throughout.. one of my favourite choices.

The final programmed piece was Bartok's Concerto for Orchestra (1943) - not a piece I am familiar with and generally not a great fan of Bartok's.  However, today I had my mind changed.. and loved the fourth and fifth movements in particular.

And the encore???  Well anyone who had to rush away really missed a great treat - Elgar's Nimrod from the Enigma variations.. always manages to bring a tear (of pure joy and emotion) to my eyes

Thank you to all concerned for a wonderful afternoon....

1 comment:

Simon Douglas Thompson said...

THe weather here is really dreary too, and it keeps making me fall asleep!

Related Posts with Thumbnails