My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 11 August 2018

Knepp Wildland

If it hadn't been for a link I'd seen from someone on Facebook, then Knepp Castle and Wildland may still have gone unnoticed by me.  It's quite near to where I live and on a route I travelled for about 30 years when my parents lived in Sussex and I visited regularly.  I've never seen it advertised.. and it's a gem to be found!

So a while ago I booked for a Safari tour... and I wasn't disappointed - so last Friday I set off.  Ironically after weeks of sunshine and heat, Friday was wet and dull.. and when I arrived.. the rain was still tipping down!

Knepp is owned by Charles Burrell and has been in the Burrell family for 220 years.

It's a 3,500 square acre wildland area which, previously given to farming but since 2001 has been left for nature to take over and dictate what happens.  Having been used for farming over many years, now wildlife and nature has been allowed to take over.

The population is Tamworth Pigs, Red, Roe and Fallow Deer, Longhorn Cattle and Exmoor Ponies - all of which survive on the land and have no supplementary feeding... so the estate feeds the animals.

It's a popular place for breeding Purple Emperor Butterflies... I was too late at the time of the year to see any... the breeding season being July - but come next year...  Turtle Doves also breed here.. and no.. didn't see or hear one but one had been heard the day before!  Nightingales also breed on site. All 5 species of owls are seen here.. but not today!

As with anything related to wildlife, there are no guarantees of seeing anything...

What we did see today:
Green Sandpiper
Chiffchaff (heard)
Little Grebe
Kingfisher
Great Crested Grebes with young
Red and Fallow Deer
Tamworth Pigs - a family
Bullfinch
Blue Tit
Chaffinch (heard)
Wren
Adder and Slow Worm


There are about 5 tree houses around the vast estate.. we stopped at a couple..








Our vehicle!








Tamworth pigs





The scrape! and the view from where we stopped in a tree house for a cuppa and Chocolate Brownies!





I had the front seat!! .. getting in and out was an experience in itself :D


Distant and record shot!


and this is, I believe, the entrance to the camping site.. made out of fallow deer horns.

Our guide was amazing and so knowledgeable.. so very many thanks to her!

I shall be back for another safari next year!!

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails