My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 25 July 2008

Dragonflies

Two dragonflies spotted over the last couple of days. On Thursday I'd seen a dragonfly around my garden pond and today it was there again - just as I got the camera up it flew off so not even in focus properly.

I think it's probably a darter but an ID would be very welcome.


Then walking with my grandson and the dog on Esher Common (around Black Pond) on Friday, J spotted this - which I'm sure is a Black-tailed Skimmer. Needless to say, I didn't have the 400 lens so this was taken with a Canon 70-300 IS lens - but not too bad for that!





Then, as we were walking away from the pond, a deer came leaping across ahead of us - I'm sure this must be a Sika deer; it was the right size but I need to research this before I can be sure. In all the time I've been walking here, I've never seen one before - so very pleased with that spot!

6 comments:

Tom said...

No idear what they are called, but well done for capturing them..

The Quacks of Life said...

commpon darter I think and BT Skimmer.

Sigma 70-300?

Tricia Ryder said...

Pete - I believe common Darter too.

Ooops - Canon lens - post duly amended - ta!

oldcrow61 said...

Wow, great shots of the skimmer.

Tricia Ryder said...

Tom and OC - thanks for popping in :)

Anonymous said...

Your first Dragonfly is a Common Darter and your second is an immature male Broad-bodied Chaser

Paul Ritchie

Related Posts with Thumbnails