My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 19 March 2011

Skylarks and a Pipit

I awoke early as usual. At 4.30 a.m. the dawn chorus was just starting and it was beginning to get lighter. As the sun rose over the next hour or so, the sky was clear. At sunrise the light was wonderful and no wind. It promised to be a good day. It was!!

I was going over to Barnes but I was far too early so I headed off for Bushy first. I went to the normal large car park thinking that at 8.15 a.m. it would be virtually empty... WRONG!! There was an event on and the car park was jammed and the drivers were......best left unsaid!!

I went around to another car park and consequently walked in a different area.

The skylarks were singing their wonderful song. I finally tracked them down to find two of them on the ground.. the light was good but they were a long way away. At one time three of them were chasing around the grassy hummocks.

Nonetheless, my very first pictures of a skylark so that was great!



In the same area, a Greenwoodpecker came to the party.

I walked further along hearing a Mistle Thrush singing its heart out. I couldn't see it despite standing watching for some time. After a while it flew... lovely song though.

And then, the twittering began! I walked for a bit and discovered a flock of several Siskins. They were well hidden until they decided to try some different trees. I was so pleased they did as it was then possible to get some pictures.

The males are looking magnificent in their striking plumage!




I then noticed another bird (in fact there were three of them) and I'm pretty sure this is a Meadow Pipit. But... if anyone knows differently??

I became aware I was being watched as I watched the Pipit
I was... a young Red Deer Stag was crossing the stream and keeping his beady eye on me!



Well, that was a wonderful hour or so in Bushy and most rewarding.

I then headed off for Barnes. The sun by now was getting beautifully warm and there was no wind whatsoever.

As I approached the visitor centre, the building (albeit a bit chaotic as the cafe is being extended) was reflected in the very still water.

I wandered along and saw this, what I believe to be, Queen Bee. It looks as though she has some eggs??? on her back.

If anyone can help with this, I would be grateful

As I walked around the lagoon to the Wader Scrape Hide, what did I see.... woo hoo, a Chiff Chaff. Someone advised that there were two of them so we stood and waited. Along came the 2nd one! No chiff-chaffing heard but lovely to have seen my first ones of the Spring!

Many Long-tailed Tits about

Late on a Dunnock posed.

And around on the Wildside, a couple of Greylag Geese knew it was Spring and what was required of them.

A Great Spotted Woodpecker tapped for insects up in a Birch tree.

and a Reed Bunting sat soaking up the sun


From the Wader-Scrape hide - a couple of Redshanks.. pity they stayed so far away though.

And finally, a crow sang from its lofty perch.


Not a bad day for birds at all and the sun was GLORIOUS and it was so warm I had to carry my jacket.... Oh I love Spring weather like this.

8 comments:

The Quacks of Life said...

yup mipit! nice selection.

holdingmoments said...

A great day Tricia. It don't get better than this, does it.

Saw my first Chiffchaff today too.
Spring is definitely here! lol

ShySongbird said...

What a great visit you had and blue skies! We too had a gloriously sunny day :)

You saw a lovely selection of goodies and I was going to say it looked like a mipit to me but Pete beat me to it.

I have a horrible feeling that your poor bee has mites. I'm not sure but possibly the Varroa mite :(

Eagleseagles said...

Well done on your first Skylark photo.
They are not the easiest to capture!
What a lovely day - and I had other commitments or I wuld have been birding too!
Maybe tomorrow....
C

Roy said...

A nice lot of captures there Tricia.

Ragged Robin said...

Great photos, Tricia - I especially like the siskin and red deer photos.

Sounds like you had a lovely day out.

I suspect the bumble bee has mites.

Brittany Girl said...

My first visit to your site and I loved the bird photographs. I shall be a regular now! Sandra

Unknown said...

Hi Tricia,
Great blog, very interesting and lovely pics. Ive added yours to my list.
Check my blog out at: http://iow-birder.blogspot.com/
Thanks,
Dave

Related Posts with Thumbnails