My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 29 December 2012

A first visit to Guildford Cathedral

I've lived near Guildford Cathedral for a goodly part of my life.  When I was very young at school, pupils were invited to donate half-a-crown to buy a brick which would bear the pupils name. So somewhere in the cathedral is a brick bearing my original name.  These bricks would be part of the building; still visible on display today are those of the Royal Family... Queen Elizabeth, Princess Margaret, Prince Phillip and others.

The Cathedral's architect, Edward Maufe, was appointed in 1933 but the war intervened and building was halted and the existing building was finally consecrated in 1961.

The weather was dreadful, rain, wind and grey, grey grey... so all indoor shots today!  On a better day the views would be great, as the Cathedral is built on the top of a hill!

The interior is quite plain and, to me used to the grandeur of older cathedrals, a bit uninteresting.  The lack of stained-glass windows made a huge difference.

However, you can judge for yourselves..
































In the Children's room...


















3 comments:

Ragged Robin said...

It does look beautiful Tricia with some lovely features but I must admit I do like lots of stained glass! The problem I find with newer churches and cathedrals is the lack of special atmosphere created by hundreds of years of history seeping from older buildings.

Tricia Ryder said...

Caroline... I couldn't agree more.. you've summed it up so well... thank you!

oldcrow61 said...

It seems to me to be a lovely church. The miniature people are wonderful. I'm a fan of miniatures.

Related Posts with Thumbnails