My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Friday 7 December 2012

Dipped on Waxwings at RSPB Pulborough Brooks

I was (almost) passing Pulborough Brooks on my way back home after being in Worthing for a few days.  I arrived in pouring rain to learn that the waxwings had arrived about 7.30 a.m. and left again at about 8.15 a.m.  I waited for a bit (with several other birders) before deciding to go home and unpack.  After about 1 hour the sun came out so I headed back - no more were they seen.

Was pushed for time, so just did the circuit of the reserve and didn't stay long in any of the hides.

A green woodie bounded away as I walked.  Loads of geese and ducks... saw Shelducks, also 3 snipe which was great... Meadow Pipit, Redwings, Fieldfares - the Peregrine was not on her usual branch so didn't see her today!   In one of the hides a birder identified two Dunlin.... still not sure about those..

Not very good pics today - everything was so far away




Robins everywhere!



A couple of Shelduck - miles away!

Record shot only of Meadow Pipit.. at least you can see the red legs!
  A distant Fieldfare

and a Redwing that refused to come out into the open... well, it was exceedingly windy today!

On the way out I bumped into a friend.. nice to see you again Susan... and then I had to head home!

Good to stretch my legs again in the sunshine!

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Too bad you missed the waxwings. But you still saw some great birds. I haven't been outside in ages and I am starting to get grumpy!

Related Posts with Thumbnails