My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 3 January 2009

Birds of 2009 - the story so far.....

I've had a pretty good start to my "year list" of birds and garden visitors.

On 1 January, in the garden the list numbered 14
then later on, following a visit to Kew Gardens, I added another 8

So the total for New Year's day was: 22

Then (as you know from the previous post) I had a birding day in Essex on 2nd and managed to add another 31

and today? I added 2 new birds. Delighted that the Nuthatch has paid a return visit and I had a very rare visit from a pied wagtail - I do hope 2009 continues to bring all these "seldom seen" visitors!

So this makes my year total 55 at the close of play on Saturday 3 January 2009.

I've also noticed a regular visitor is this Blue Tit with a deformed beak (not a very good pic)

Today's final new visitor - Pied Wagtail - whey hey!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice one Tricia. Are you going to keep the list going till the year end ? Will be interesting to see what your total will be. Only 12 month to find out ;)

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Dean. Yes - I'm really determined to note everything this year. I've never actually done one before but there's a first time for everything.....

That well known phrase...
"I've started so I'll finish ...." springs to mind :)

The Quacks of Life said...

love the pied trish. thats a goody

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks P - I was rather chuffed with it :D

mick said...

The Pied Wagtail is very interesting. Does it just wag its tail or does it spread it like a fan as well? We have one out here in Australia that is called the Willie Wagtail and it does both. I must try for some photos of it soon and post them.

Anonymous said...

Its funny you were in Amwell yesterday (Im not far from there), as I was in your neck of the woods today, at Bushy Park and Hampton Court.

Some great additions to the list

Tricia Ryder said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tricia Ryder said...

Neil - I expect both your venues looked really good in the frost and sun today. But was probably a bit grey on Friday?

Next time - we'll have to plan our movements better!

Anonymous said...

We had sun all day on Saturday luckily and I took 400+ photos! There was loads of wildlife to be seen despite all the people.

Tricia Ryder said...

That's great Neil. You never know, we might even meet on your next visit :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails