My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Wednesday 14 January 2009

By the sea

Today I left home early morning in thick fog. About 30 miles later the sun shone - disappeared - and shone again; this time brilliantly - I had arrived in West Sussex at my mother's. Mum was very surprised to hear of fog as the sun had shone since sunrise in her village!!

We did some shopping and decided to do our usual drive along the sea front from Worthing to Ferring. The tide was just on the turn and the sea had some movement in it.

The day was glorious - the air was still; the temperature warm for January; the sun shone and the warmth of it was wonderful.

We had lunch at Sea Lane Cafe - an excellent Brie and Bacon toasted sandwich (me) and bowl of vegetable soup (more vegetables than soup - Mum) washed down with a classy bottle of spring water and followed by lemon meringue pie (both of us - ooooh)

I took some pics and then we ambled home - taking the scenic route!
The beach at Sea Lane Cafe
If you've ever fallen of a bicycle, or had any misadventure as a result of riding one, this sign is just for you.






A bit further along at Ferring


On the way home, we made a detour via Patching and St John the Devine Church





Having driven through Long Furlong (local name for a beautiful valley with the main road following the contours of the hill) I stopped at the top for the view and some pictures. Wrong time of day, as shooting directly into the sun. I'll have to get up there early one morning to get the best shots!




Then back to Mum's for a cuppa before playing with the rush hour traffic on the way home.
Hey ho - back to reality!!

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tricia
You certainly had better weather than we had here in our part of Surrey. You will see from my blog that it was foggy / misty at Painshill Park this afternoon. Too foggy at the lake to see anything and Phil didn't want to walk too far !! Good to get out though.

Love the photo of the hay bales, the sky looks so clear.

Jackie

Anonymous said...

Being born in a mountainous country I am one of the "AHHHHHHHH, THE SEA!" persons. LOL LOL LOL Yes I know awful! LOL LOL LOL
And your beautiful pictures have the same effect on me like the real thing!
Don't get me wrong I really like all your pictures but: THE SEA, AHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Tricia Ryder said...

Aw Carin - sorry if you're upset.

I love the sea - just to watch and listen to it; but - it is a force to be reckoned with; it's an element that has many moods and guises!

Anonymous said...

What a gorgeous winter's day out. Sounds like you had a great time with some decent weather. Love the sea shots. I love sitting on a pebbly beach listening to the waves... heaven! Jane

Tricia Ryder said...

Jackie - sorry about your weather!
Jane, thanks and yes; the music of the sea!

oldcrow61 said...

Wonderful pictures. Glad to hear that the weather has warmed up a bit over there. Bitterly cold here.

Anonymous said...

LOL LOL You got me wrong Tricia.
We say: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH - while slowly exhaling - when we are impressed and/or enchanted by something. I love the sea but have the somewhat clouded by romantism view someone from a mountainious country has towards the sea. I am like a child when I am at the sea I like to sit and watch and/or jump into the water an could play forever and ever with the waves! LOL LOL LOL

Anonymous said...

Tricia, i`m another one who loves to be by the sea. Unfortunately, not as often as i like.
Beautiful pictures.

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks OC - Must admit I'm happier with the UK temperatures than what you're getting at the moment!

Carin - sorry for the misunderstanding and glad you like the sea!!

Dean - thanks. I'm just lucky to be so close to it - only 1 hour's drive away!

Stewart said...

Hi Tricia, I have a bike mishap tale - I fell off aged about 8 years and smashed my jaw in 3 places and bit the end off my tongue in the process! I'm more careful in my old age...I still can't get my back teeth to meet.
A lovely area there, I've only been once to a place near Battle...

Eagleseagles said...

Shooting into the sun can have great effects, Tricia. Says Andy Rouse , but I dont think it was with Landscape in mind...nature targets and birds!
Mind you that last one is not bad!

I love the sea.

I'll see if I can post a couple of my friends photos she took on Tuesday late afternoon by the Thames -on my blog soon - they are brill

Anonymous said...

The bicycle photo made me laugh out loud! I am a (not too pretty) sight to behold on two wheels!!

Tricia Ryder said...

Beki - glad it entertained you. :D I'm sure you're being very modest about your appearance on two wheels! Lol.

Related Posts with Thumbnails