My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Sunday 25 January 2009

RSPB Big Garden Bird Watch, Weekend and Rain

A grey wet day so I knew there wasn't going to be much point in taking my camera for a walk. Instead I'd arranged with my daughter to go into Kingston to do some shopping.

I had a couple of things on my list, one of which was a replacement mobile phone. This I now have - and I'm about to take the degree course in finding my way around it. I'm reasonably technology literate but this phone's menus and functionalities are completely different from previous makes. But we'll get there. I suppose I'm just lazy and want to know everything immediately!

Knowing the weather was going to be inclement today, I did my RSPB Big Garden Bird Watch yesterday. In the past, the birds visiting the garden have known the date in advance and have been anywhere other than my garden. However, 2009 seems to be the exception and I was really pleased with the tally - here goes:

78 birds and 17 species observed between 08.15 and 09.15
35 x Goldfinches
1 x Blackcap (male)
8 x Greenfinches
2 x Magpies
9 x Feral Pigeons
3 x Chaffinches
2 x Blue Tits
2 x Bramblings (male)
3 x Starlings
5 x Ring-necked Parakeets
1 x Great Tit
1 x Wood Pigeon
1 x Coal Tit
1 x Robin
2 x Long-tailed Tits
1 x Jay
1 x Collared Dove

9 comments:

Shirley said...

Wow Tricia... that's an impressive garden list for your count! 35 goldfinches - gosh that's amazing :-D

Yes, the birds do usually make themselves scarce when you sit down to count them don't they. My count wasn't when I had planned so I didn't see as many of the usual suspects. Ah well that's the way it goes I suppose :-)

Have a good week :-D

FAB said...

Now I know where ALL the Goldfinches are! Due to poor weather & lack of patience my list is somewhat smaller.

Eagleseagles said...

Most impressive!

C

Tricia Ryder said...

Shirl - always the way isn't it!

Frank - The goldfinches certainly find their way here in the winter - down to about 4 regulars in the summer though.

C - thanks!

ST said...

Thats a good way to spend an hour hour. My list is embarassing.

Tom said...

Hi Tricia
I hang my head in shame today, as I completely forgot about it... I have done many of these in the past and had reasonable result concidering a small garden in a built up area.
Nice to see your Gold finch count is so high... rare sighting in my garden, but at the feeders I visit theres a few pair.

Hope you suss that phone out.. :O)
I did have a few shots of a Greater Spotted Woodpecker on my Wiggers World blog yesterday.
Tom

Tricia Ryder said...

Thanks Tom - have seen your GS Woodpecker - some really good shots there! Nice one.

Goosey said...

What an impressive bird count, Tricia. I'm assuming you live in a built up area and that just goes to prove the birds are there, it's the challenge to see them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about the delay in responding to the comment you left at the UK & Eire Natural History Bloggers. Your link can now be found at http://uknhb.blogspot.com/2009/02/bgb-round-up-2.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails