My blog is mostly about wildlife, particularly birds, walking, days out, all growing things and anything else that comes to mind.
To view pictures in larger format, just click on any picture for the picture gallery....

Saturday 7 June 2008

Close encounters of the green kind.

I walked into my living room on Thursday and got a bit of a shock. The room is rectangular with the door at the top end. At the far (opposite) end is a large patio door which I'd left open.

As I entered the room a Ring-Necked Parakeet, which had been sitting on the floor, flew up in alarm. It then crashed into a large mirror (which is opposite the patios doors) and immediately flew down to the other end of the room where is crashed into the window ending up in one of my indoor plants.

The dilemma I now had was what to do; the bird was obviously getting distressed and flying about in an alarmed manner. After two abortive attempts to catch it (which was just making the situation worse) I decided just to stand still and it calmed down. Then off it went again trying to get outside, but bumped into the door again!

I had a large "throw" handy, so, as it was nearly at an open door I opened this out creating a backdrop and therefore leaving the only escape route as the open door. It took my directions and flew off happy to be outside in the garden again; it then landed in the usual "Parakeet" tree (a eucalyptus) reunited with its friends.

I believe it was a young one but I was very pleased there was a happy ending :)

1 comment:

Liz said...

Sounds like you had a close call Tricia!

Glad it got away relatively unhurt :D

Related Posts with Thumbnails